NHL News and Notes from Sunday, April 17th, 2022
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that they will have a hearing for Montreal Canadiens forward Michael Pezzetta.
- Pezzatta will have a hearing for an illegal hit to the head that he did to Washington Capitals forward TJ Oshie on Saturday night.
- With the Minnesota Wild’s game going to overtime against San Jose, the Wild would clinch a berth in the 2022 Stanley Cup Palyoffs.
- With Toronto’s regulation victory over the New York Islanders, the Washington Capitals clinched the final berth into the 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs in the Eastern Conference.
- Florida Panthers v. Detroit Red Wings – 1p ET
- In Detroit the Red Wings would play host to the Florida Panthers, and after a scoreless first period Anthony Duclair, Sam Reinhart, Anton Lundell, and Maxim Mamin would score to giv ethe Panthers the commanding 4-0 lead. Then in the third period Pius Suter would score for the Wings, but goals from Lundell and Gustav Forsling would give the Panthers the 6-1 victory over the Red Wings.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Philadelphia Flyers – 5p ET
- In Philadelphia for the second game of their home and home the Flyers would host the Buffalo Sabres, and in the first period Kevin Hayes would score for the Flyers, but goals from Victor Olofsson would score for the Sabres to take the 2-1 lead. In the second period Noah Cates would score for the Flyers, but Olofsson would net his second of the game and Tage Thompson would score to give the Sabres the 4-2 lead. Then in the third period Zack MacEwen would score for the Flyers, but Thompson would net his second of the game to give the Sabres the 5-3 victory over the Flyers.
- St. Louis Blues v. Nashville Predators – 6p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would battle the St. Louis Blues in a Central Division matchup, and in the first period Nick Cousins would score for the Preds and Brayden Schenn would score for the Blues for the 1-1 tie. In the second period Luke Kunin would score for the Preds, but a pair of goals from both Jordan Kyrou and Calle Rosen plus Schenn’s second of the game and tallies from Vladimir Tarasenko and Nathan Walker would give the Blues the commanding 8-2 lead. Then in the third period Dante Fabbro would score for the Preds, but the Blues would hold on for the 8-3 victory over the Predators.
- San Jose Sharks v. Minnesota Wild – 6p ET
- In Minnesota the Wild look to make it to the playoffs with a point earned against the San Jose Sharks, and in the first period Rudolfs Balcers would strike for the Sharks, but Dmitry Kulikov and Jared Spurgeon would score to give the Wild the 2-1 lead. In the second period Matt Boldy would score for the Wild, but goals from Matt Nieto and Noah Gregor would tie the game at three for the Sharks. Then in the third period Nick Bonino would strike for the Sharks and Kevin Fiala would score for the Wild for a 4-4 tie to send the game to overtime. In the extra frame Fiala would net his second of the game to give the Wild the 5-4 victory over the Sharks.
- New York Islanders v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 730p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would look to do the Washington Capitals a favor as they host the New York Islanders, and in the first period Anthony Beauvillier would strike for the Isles and Mitch Marner would score for the Leafs for the 1-1 tie. In the second period Josh Bailey would strike for the Isles, but Pierre Engvall and William Nylander would score to give the Leafs the 3-2 lead. Then in the third period David Kampf would score to give the Maple Leafs the 4-2 victory over the Islanders.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Anaheim Ducks – 830p ET
- In Anaheim the Ducks would take on the Columbus Blue Jackets, and in the first period Jake Bean would strike for the Jackets, but a pair of goals by Troy Terry and a tally by Gerry Mayhew would give the Ducks the 3-1 lead. In the second period Bean would net his second of the game and Sean Kuraly would score for the Jackets to tie the game at three. then in the third period Cole Sillinger would score for the Jackets, but Trevor Zegras, Cam Fowler, and Derek Grant would score to give the Ducks the 6-4 victory over the Blue Jackets.
- CAL v. CHI – 8p ET
- WAS v. COL – 9p ET
- OTT v. SEA – 10p ET
- CAR v. ARI – 10p ET
- NJ v. VGK – 10p ET
- DAL v. VAN – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Michael recaps the past week for the Washington Capitals (TXHT)
- Dickson recaps the past week for the Montreal Canadiens (TXHT)
- Scott recaps the past week for the Seattle Kraken (TXHT)
- Mike and Ethan are back with a full episode of the TXHT Podcast (TXHT)
- Capitals History: Reliving 1987’s Easter Epic vs. the Islanders (The Hockey Writers)
- Brown discusses Kraken inaugural season in sit-down with NHL.com (Color of Hockey)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.