NHL News and Notes from Saturday, April 9th, 2022
- The NHL Department of Player Safety suspended New York Islanders forward Casey Cizikas.
- Cizikas was suspended for one game for boarding Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Brendan Smith on Friday night.
- Based on his average annual salary, and per the terms of the CBA, Cizikas will forfeit $12,500.
- New Jersey Devils v. Dallas Stars – 2p ET
- In Dallas, the Stars look to turn the Devils and after a scoreless first period, the Stars get on the board when Ryan Suter nets his seventh of the year. In the third, New Jersey ties the game when Ty Smith scores his fifth of the year and then Nico Hischier scores 20th of the year to give the Devs the 2-1 lead. New Jersey seals the win when Pavel Zacha strikes for his 14th of the year as the Devils down the Stars 3-1.
- Scott’s TXHT Game Recap – Devils Come Back to Win in Dallas
- Washington Capitals v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 3p ET
- In the Steel City, the Capitals look to knock off the Penguins and in the first period the Penguins get on the board when Bryan Rust nets his 24th of the year but then the Capitals tie the game when Marcus Johansson nets his seventh of the year. Washington will take the 2-1 lead after Dmitry Orlov nets his 11th of the year but then Pittsburgh ties the game when Jeff Carter gets his 17th of the year. Bryan Boyle then strikes to give the Pens the lead with his 10th of the year. In the second, Alex Ovechkin nets his 44th of the year to tie the game. In the third, Washington takes the lead for good when Tom Wilson nets his 22nd of the year and then the Caps take the 5-3 lead when Evgeny Kuznetsov strikes for his 23rd of the year. Washington wraps up the game when Martin Fehervary hits the empty net with his seventh of the year as the Capitals double up the Penguins 6-3.
- Florida Panthers v. Nashville Predators – 6p ET
- In Nashville, the Predators look to claw a win away from the Panthers. In the first, Carter Verhaeghe nets his 22nd to give Florida the 1-0 lead. Nashville then ties the game when Ryan Johansen nets his 22nd of the year. In the second, Florida re-takes the lead when Anton Lindell nets his 16th of the year. In the third, Johnathan Huberdeau scores his 27th of the year and then the Panthers seal the win once Gustav Forsling strikes with his sixth as the Panthers get the 4-1 win over the Predators.
- Calgary Flames v. Seattle Kraken – 7p ET
- In the Emerald City, the Flames take on the Kraken and in the first Calgary takes the 1-0 lead when Blake Coleman nets his 14th of the year but then Seattle ties the game when Karson Kuhlman nets his third of the year. Then, the Flames re-take the lead when Trevor Lewis nets his sixth of the year. In the second, Michael Stone scores his second of the year to give the Flames the 3-1 lead. In the third, the Flames seal the win after Tyler Toffoli nets his 20th of the year as Calgary defeats Seattle 4-1.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In an Original Six match-up in Toronto, the Maple Leafs look to defeat the Canadiens. In the first, Auston Matthews nets a pair of goals to give the Leafs the 2-0 lead. In the second, Montreal gets on the board when Joel Edmundson nets his second of the year but then Toronto takes the 3-1 lead once John Tavares nets his 26th of the year. Montreal then comes within a goal once Cole Caufield scores his 18th of the year but the comeback is not enough as Toronto gets the 3-2 win over Montreal.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Detroit Red Wings – 7p ET
- In the Motor City, the Red Wings host the Blue Jackets and in the first Columbus takes the 1-0 lead when Jack Roslovic nets his 13th of the year. In the second, Detroit ties the game up when Jakub Vrana nets his ninth of the year and then Sam Gagner strikes with his 12th of the year to give the Wings the 2-1 lead. Columbus ties it up when Cole Sillinger strikes with his 12th of the year. In the third, Columbus nets a pair of goals when Jack Roslovic scores his second of the night and then Justin Danforth nets his ninth of the year to take the 4-2 lead. Detroit then nets a pair of goals of their own when Dylan Larkin scores his 31st of the year and then Jakub Vrana gets his second of the night. In overtime, Jack Roslovic completes the hat trick as the Blue Jackets get the 5-4 win over the Red Wings.
- Ottawa Senators v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- In New York City, the Rangers play host to the Senators and in the first, Ottawa takes the 1-0 lead when Austin Watson scores his seventh of the year but then the Rangers tie it up when Artemi Panarin scores his 21st of the year. In the second, Andrew Copp scores his 17th and then Chris Kreider scores his 48th to give the Rangers the 3-1 lead. Then, Ryan Strome scores his 17th of the year to give the Blueshirts the three goal lead. In the third, Chris Kreider nets his second of the night to give the Rangers the 5-1 win over the Senators.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Philadelphia Flyers – 730p ET
- In the city of Brotherly Love, the Flyers host the Ducks for the lone time on the year and in the first the Flyers get a pair of goals when Travis Sanheim scores his seventh and then Ronnie Attard nets his first to give Philly the 2-0 lead. In the second, the Ducks get a trio of goals when Sonny Milano scores his 13th, Zach Aston-Reese nets his fourth, and Trevor Zegras scores his 19th. In the third, the Flyers tie it up when Ivan Provorov score his eighth but then the Ducks get a pair of goals when Trevor Zegras gets his second of the night and then Derek Grant nets his 13th as Anaheim gets the 5-3 win over Philadelphia.
- New York Islanders v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In the Lou, the Islanders visit the Blues and in the first St. Louis gets a pair of goals when Nick Leddy and Vladimir Tarasenko score. In the second, St. Louis gets a trio of goals when Justin Faulk nets a pair and Ivan Barbashev scores his 23rd as the Blues take the 5-0 lead. Grant Hutton then scores his firsts to get the Isles on the board. Robert Thomas then scores his 18th as the Blues breeze by the Islanders with the 6-1 win.
- San Jose Sharks v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver, the Canucks play host to the Sharks and in the first Jason Dickinson scores his fourth to get the Canucks on the board but then the Sharks tie it up when Tomas Hertl scores his 28th. In the second, Conor Garland scores his 15th to give the ‘Nucks the 2-1 lead but then Nick Bonino scores his 11th to tie the game. In the third, Alex Chiasson nets his 10th of the year to give Vancouver the 3-2 lead and then Luke Schenn scores his fourth as the Canucks down the Sharks 4-2.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Sin City, the Golden Knights host the Coyotes and in the first, Vegas gets a pair of goals when Zach Whitecloud, scoring his seventh, and Max Pacioretty, scoring his 16th, to take the 2-0 lead. Arizona then gets on the board when Barrett Hayton nets his eighth of the year. In the second, Evgenii Dadonov nets his 18th to give the Golden Knights the 3-1 lead. Then in the third, Vegas gets a trio of goals when Brayden McNabb nets his third, Jake Leschyshyn nets his second, and Jack Eichel scores his 11th of the year to give the Golden Knights the 6-1 win over the Coyotes.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Edmonton Oilers – 10p ET
- In Edmonton, the Avalanche look to strike Oil and get the win. After a scoreless first and second period, the Oilers get on the board in the third when Warren Foegele scores his 11th but then Colorado ties the game when Nathan MacKinnon scores his 26th. In the shootout, Nathan MacKinnon scores the lone goal to give the Avalanche the 2-1 win over the Oilers.
- BOS v. WAS – 130p ET
- NAS v. PIT – 4p ET
- LA v. MIN – 5p ET
- BUF v. TB – 5p ET
- ANA v. CAR – 6p ET
- DAL v. CHI – 7p ET
- WIN v. OTT – 730p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- 32 Thoughts: How should the Sharks address the search for a new General Manager (HNIC)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.