NHL News and Notes from Thursday, March 31st, 2022
- The Arizona Coyotes announced that forward Clayton Keller will miss four to six months.
- Clayton had successful surgery to repair a fractured leg.
- New Jersey Devils v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In Boston the Bruins would host the New Jersey Devils, and in the first period Jack Hughes would score for the Devils, but goals from Matt Grzelcyk and Jake DeBrusk would give the B’s the 2-1 lead. In the second period Brad Marchand would score two goals and Erik Haula, Patrice Bergeron, Marc McLaughlin, and Taylor Hall would score to grow the B’s lead to seven. It would be a scoreless third period as the Bruins would decimate the Devils 8-1.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would look to grown the Winnipeg Jets, and in the first period Mark Giordano would score for the Leafs, but goals from Blake Wheeler and Paul Stastny would give the Jets the 2-1 lead. In the second period Nikolaj Ehlers would score for the Jets, but goals from William Nylander would net a pair of goals and John Tavares and Ilya Mikheyev would score to give the Leafs the 5-3 lead. Then in the third period Auston Matthews would score to become the first player to reach 50 goals this season, and Timothy Liljegren would score to give the Maple Leafs the 7-3 victory over the Jets.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida the Panthers would host the Chicago Blackhawks, and in the first period Aleksander Barkov would score to give the Panthers the 1-0 lead. In the second period Ryan Lomberg and Gustav Forsling would score to grow the Panthers lead to three. Then in the third period Barkov would net his second of the game to give the Panthers the 4-0 victory over the Blackhawks.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. New York Islanders – 7p ET
- On Long Island the Columbus Blue Jackets would come to town to take on the New York Islanders, and in the first period Sebastian Aho (the other one) and Oliver Wahlstrom would score for the Isles to take the 2-0 lead. In the second period Emil Bemstrom and Justin Danforth would score to tie the game at two for the Jackets. Then in the third period Kyle Palmieri, Mathew Barzal, and Ryan Pulock would score to give the Islanders the 5-2 victory over the Blue Jackets.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would host the Montreal Canadiens, and in the first period Sebastian Aho (the good one) and Andrei Svechnikov would score to give the Canes the 2-0 lead. In the second period Teuvo Teravainen would score to grow the Canes lead to three. Then in the third period Svechnikov would strike again to give the Hurricanes the 4-0 victory over the Canadiens.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In Minnesota the Wild would host the Pittsburgh Penguins, and in the first period Rickard Rakell would strike to give the Pens the 1-0 lead, but Matt Dumba would score to tie the game at one. In the second period Jake Guentzel and Rakell would strike for the Pens, but Frederick Gaudreau would strike for the Wild to keep them within one. Then in the third period Kirill Kaprizov would score to tie the game at three for the Wild to send the game to overtime. In the extra frame Evgeni Malkin would strike to give the Penguins the 4-3 victory over the Wild.
- San Jose Sharks v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In Colorado the Sharks would play host to the San Jose Sharks, and after a scoreless first period Alex Newhook would score to give the Avs the 1-0 lead, but Timo Meier would strike to tie the game at one for the Sharks. In the third, Colorado takes the lead again when Darren Helm nets his sixth of the year but then the Sharks tie it again when Brent Burns nets his eighth of the year. Colorado then takes the lead for good when Mikko Rantanen nets his 34th of the year and then Andre Burakovsky nets his 19th as the Avalanche get the 4-2 win over the Sharks.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Calgary Flames – 9p ET
- In Calgary the Flames would take on the Los Angeles Kings, and after a scoreless first period Alex Iafallo would strike to give the Kings the 1-0 lead. In the third, the Flames get a pair of goals when Johnny Gaudreau nets his 31st of the year and then Erik Gudbranson strikes with his sixth. The Kings tie it up when Viktor Arvidsson scores his 19th of the year. In the shootout, Lias Andersson scores the lone goal to give the Kings the 3-2 win.
- Dallas Stars v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In Anaheim the Ducks would take on the Dallas Stars, and in the first period Ryan Suter would score to give the Stars the 1-0 lead. In the second, Jamie Drysdale strikes with his fourth of the year to tie the game for the Ducks. In the third, Andrej Sekera scores his first of the year to give Dallas the lead once more but Kevin Shattenkirk scores his eighth of the year to tie the games for the Ducks. In overtime, Jamie Benn scores his 17th as Dallas squeaks by Anaheim for the 3-2 win.
- NAS v. BUF – 7p ET
- CHI v. TB – 7p ET
- NYI v. NYR – 7p ET
- OTT v. DET – 730p ET
- STL v. EDM – 9p ET
- VGK v. SEA – 10p ET
- ANA v. ARI – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Where Do the Ottawa Senators Go from Here? (The Hockey News)
- 32 Thoughts Blog: Senators still have opportunity to realize Eugene Melnyk’s dreams (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.