Welcome to the TXHT PHF Weekend Recap for the Weekend of Friday, March 25th through Monday, March 28th, 2022, plus news coming out of the weekend.
Friday, March 25th, 2022
Game #1 – #6 Buffalo Beauts v. #3 Boston Pride
- In Tampa Bay the 2022 Isobel Cup Playoffs would kick off with a battle between the #6 Buffalo Beauts and #3 Boston Pride, and after a scoreless first period the Pride’s offense would come alive as Taylor Wenczkowski, Kali Flanagan, and Jillian Dempsey would score to give the Pride the 3-0 lead. Then in the third period Christina Putigna, Teresa Vanisova, and Mary Parker would score to give the Pride the dominate 6-0 victory over the Beauts to move on to the semi-finals and take on the #2 Toronto Six.
Game #2 – #5 Minnesota Whitecaps v. #4 Metropolitan Riveters
- Next up we would see the Metropolitan Riveters take on the Minnesota Whitecaps, and in the first period Taylor Turnquist would strike to give the Whitecaps the 1-0 lead. In the second period Kelly Babstock would strike for the Rivs, but a pair of goals from Sydney Baldwin would give the Whitecaps the 3-1 lead. Then in the third period Allie Thunstrom would strike to give the Whitecaps the 4-1 victory over the Riveters and move on to face the #1 Connecticut Whale.
Sunday, March 27th, 2022
Game #1 – #5 Minnesota Whitecaps v. #1 Connecticut Whale – Semi-Finals
- Back in Tampa Bay for the Semi-Finals the first seeded Connecticut Whale would host the fifth seeded Minnesota Whitecaps, and after a scoreless first period Kennedy Marchment would open the scoring for the Whale to take the 1-0 lead. Allie Thunstrom would strike for the Whitecaps, but Janine Weber would score for the Whale to retake the lead. Ashleigh Brykaliuk would score for the Whitecaps to tie the game again, but goals from Alyssa Wohlfeiler and Tori Howran would give the Whale all they would need as they would play a scoreless third period to take the 4-2 victory over the Whitecaps and advance to the Isobel Cup Final for the first time in franchise history.
- Shaggy’s TXHT Recap – Whale Advance to Isobel Cup Final
Game #2 – #3 Boston Pride v. #2 Toronto Six – Semi-Finals
- For the second Semi-Final matchup we would see a rematch of last season’s Isobel Cup Final as the second seeded Toronto Six would play host to the third seed Boston Pride, and in the first period the Pride would pounce on the Six as Christina Putigna, Kali Flanagan, and Kayla Friesen would score in a span of a little over two minutes to give the Pride a commanding 3-0 lead. However, with 34 seconds left in the first Breanne Wilson-Bennett would score to get the Six on the board. In the second period Evelina Raselli would score to give the Pride their three goallead back. Then in the third period Taylor Wenczkowski would score to give the Pride their third powerplay goal of the game and the 5-1 victory over the Six to move on to the Isobel Cup Final for the fourth time in franchise history and second straight season (technically fifth time and third straight season but due to 2020 being cancelled they never played in the Isobel Cup Final as originally scheduled).
Monday, March 28th, 2022
Game #1 – #3 Boston Bruins v. #1 Connecticut Whale – Isobel Cup Championship
- In Tampa for the Isobel Cup Championship game the first seeded Connecticut Whale would host the three seed Boston Pride, and in the first period Jillian Dempsey would strike in the opening five minutes of the game to give the Pride the 1-0 lead, but later in the period Amanda Conway would strike to tie the game at one for the Whale. In the second period Taylor Girard would score 33 seconds into the period to give the Whale the 2-1 lead. Both teams would swap powerplays and also play some four on four in the second, but neither team would score on the opportunities. Then in the third period Evelina Raselli and Taylor Wenczkowski would score 17 seconds apart and Jenna Rheault would hit the empty netter to give the Pride the 4-2 victory over the Whale to collect their third Isobel Cup, and become the first team in PHF/NWHL history to win back to back Cups.
- Shaggy’s TXHT Recap – Pride Make History as Whale Fall in Isobel Cup Final
News and Notes
- The PHF announced forward Kennedy Marchment of the Connecticut Whale as the Player of the Month for March.
- Marchment played in six games for the Whale in the month of March where she recorded four goals and ten assists for 14 points.
Taylor Wenczkowski (BOS)
- Wenczkowski would be a force for the Boston Pride as she would record three goals in three playoff games, and have two of her goals, including the Championship game, be game winners as the Pride would win their second consecutive Isobel Cup and third overall.
* All Graphics Courtesy of the PHF.
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.