NHL News and Notes from Thursday, March 17th, 2022
- New York Islanders v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden it would be a battle of the two New York teams as the Rangers host the Islanders, and after a scoreless first period Anders Lee would strike for the Isles and Chris Kreider would score for the Rangers for the 1-1 tie. Then in the third period Kyle Palmieri would score to give the Islanders the 2-1 victory over the Rangers.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would go back in time and rock their green St. Pats jerseys as they host the Carolina Hurricanes, and in the first period Ilya Mikheyev would score to give the Leafs the 1-0 lead. In the second period Mitch Marner would score to grow the Leafs lead to two. Then in the third period Ethan Bear and Vincent Trocheck would strike for the Canes, but Ondrej Kase would score to give the Maple Leafs the 3-2 victory over the Hurricanes.
- Dallas Stars v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would play host to the Dallas Stars, and in the first period Radek Faksa would score to give the Stars the 1-0 lead. In the second period Cole Caufield would score for the Habs, but Jamie Benn would score to keep Dallas ahead by one. then in the third period John Klingberg would score for the Stars, but goals from Nick Suzuki and Corey Schueneman would tie the game at three for the Habs. In overtime it would be Klingberg with his second of the game to give the Stars the 4-3 victory over the Canadiens.
- Nashville Predators v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would honor Claude Giroux as he would play his 1000th game with the Flyers and they would take on the Nashville Predators. In the first period Travis Sanheim would strike to give the Flyers the 1-0 lead. In the second period Cam York and James van Riemsdyk would score for the Flyers, but goals from Tanner Jeannot, Philippe Myers, and Ryan Johansen would tie the game at three for the Preds. Then in the third period Filip Forsberg would strike for the Preds, but Kevin Hayes and Joel Farabee would score for the Flyers to take the 5-4 victory over the Predators.
- Washington Capitals v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets would host their Metro Division rival Washington Capitals, and in the first period Anthony Mantha would net a pair of goals to give the Caps the 2-0 lead. In the second period Oliver Bjorkstrand would score for the Jackets, but goals from Martin Fehervary and Alex Ovechkin would give the Caps the 4-1 lead. Then in the third period Patrik Laine would score for the Jackets, but Dean Kuken would do an own goal by accident (credited to Connor McMichael) and Conor Sheary and Evgeny Kuznetsov would score to give the Capitals the 7-2 victory over the Blue Jackets.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would battle the Pittsburgh Penguins, and in the first period Chad Ruhwedel would score to give the Pens the 1-0 lead. In the second period David Perron would score for the Blues, but Mike Matheson would strike for the Pens to stay ahead by one. Then in the third period Ivan Barbashev would strike to tie the game at two for the Blues. After a scoreless five minutes of extra hockey it would be Bryan Rust in the shootout to give the Penguins the 3-2 victory over the Blues.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p ET
- In Edmonton the Oilers would host the Buffalo Sabres, and in the first period Kailer Yamamoto and Connor McDavid would score to give the Oilers the 2-0 lead. In the second period Leon Draisaitl and Darnell Nurse would score to grow the Oilers lead to four. In the third, Victor Olofsson scores his 11th to get the Sabres on the board but then the Oilers get a pair of goals from Devon Shore and Tyson Barrie as the Oilers breeze by the Sabres for the 6-1 win.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver, the Canucks host the Red Wings and after a scoreless first period, Detroitr gets on the board after Pius Suter scores his 12th of the year as the Red Wings shut out the Canucks for the 1-0 win.
- San Jose Sharks v. Los Angeles Kings – 10p ET
- In Tinseltown, the Sharks take on Kings and after a scoreless first period the Kings get a pair of goals in the second from Anze Kopitar and Phillip Danault to give Los Angeles the 2-0 lead. In the third, Adrian Kempe scores his 26th as the Kings get the 3-0 shut out win over the Sharks.
- Florida Panthers v. Vegas Golden Knights – 1030p ET
- In Sin City the Golden Knights host the Panthers for the lone time on the season and in the first period, Florida take the 1-0 lead after Carter Verhaeghe scores his 21st of the year but then Vegas ties it up when Brett Howden nets his ninth of the year. In the second, Vegas gets a pair of goals from Evgenii Dadonov to take the 3-1 lead but then the Panthers come within a goal when Sam Bennett scores his 25th of the year. In the third, Sam Reinhart scores his 23rd of the year to tie the game 3-3 for the ‘Cats but then Vegas gets a pair of goals when Nicolas Roy nets his 12th and then William Karlsson scores his eighth as the Golden Knights down the Panthers 5-3.
- PHI v. OTT – 7p ET
- WAS v. CAR – 7p ET
- BOS v. WIN – 8p ET
- BUF v. CAL – 9p ET
- FLA v. ANA – 10p ET
- COL v. SJ – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- 32 Thoughts Blog: Trade deadline fallout coming fast and furious (SportsNet)
- Insider Trading: Giordano among the Leafs’ Trade Deadline targets (TSN)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.