NHL News and Notes from Monday, March 7th, 2022
- The NHL unveiled the new Stanley Cup Playoffs logo and brand identity.
- The new brand identity and logo will begin with the 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
- The NHL announced that Dallas Stars forward Jason Robertson has been named First Star of the Week.
- Nick Schmaltz (ARI) and Igor Shesterkin (NYR) would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Robertson’s Hat Tricks Earn Top Honors
- Los Angeles Kings v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In Beantown, the Bruins play host to the Kings and in the first period the B’s take the 1-0 lead after Trent Frederic scores his fourth of the year and then the Kings tie it up when Blake Lizotte nets his eighth of the year. In the second, Boston re-takes the lead after Craig Smith scores his 11th of the year. In the third, Los Angeles ties the game late when Trevor Moore scores his 10th of the year. In the overtime session, Andres Athanasiou strikes with his eighth of the year as the Kings down the Bruins 3-2.
- Florida Panthers v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo, the Panthers face off against the Sabres and in the first period, Florida takes the 1-0 lead when Brandon Montour nets his sixth of the year. In the second, Florida strikes four times with Noel Acciari netting his first of the year, Anthony Duclair scoring his 22nd, Carter Verhaeghe scoring his 17th, and Patric Hornqvist netting his ninth to give the Cats the 5-0 lead. In the third, Aleksander Barkov strikes for his 26th of the year giving Florida the 6-0 lead. The shutout does not come to fruition as Buffalo gets on the board when John Hayden nets his second as the Panthers breeze by the Sabres with the 6-1 win.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Colimbus, the Maple Leafs visit the Blue Jackets and in the first, Toronto gets three goals when Ilya Mikheyev nets his 10th, Mitchell Marner nets his 22nd, and Auston Matthews scores his 40th on the year. In the second, Columbus gets on the board when Sean Kuraly scores his ninth and Oliver Bjorkstrand scores his 20th to bring the Jackets within a goal. In the third, Columbus ties it up when Jack Roslovic scores his 10th but Toronto re-takes the lead after Alexander Kerfoot scores his ninth of the year. Toronto then makes it a 5-3 lead when Michael Bunting nets his 20th of the year but Columbus comes within a goal after Patrik Laine nets his 22nd of the year. However, Columbus can not complete the comeback as the Maple Leafs defeat the Blue Jackets 5-4.
- Colorado Avalanche v. New York Islanders – 730p ET
- In Long Island, the Avs make their lone trip to the Island on the season and in the first period, the Islanders take the 1-0 lead when Andres Lee nets his 15th of the year but Colorado ties the game when Cale Makar nets his 19th of the year. After a scoreless second, we move the third period where Nathan MacKinnon finds the nets for his 19th of the year, giving the Avs the 2-1 lead. Then, the Avs strike for three more goals when J.T. Compher nets his 11th, Cale Makar strikes for his second of the night, and Devon Toews nets his 12th. New York then comes within three after Andres Lee scores his second of the night and then the Isles make it a 5-3 game after Casey Cizikas strikes for his seventh of the year. Brock Nelson scores his 21st to bring the Isles within a goal but the comeback is not enough as Colorado squeaks by New York with the 5-4 win.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Calgary Flames – 930p ET
- In the third Battle of Alberta on the season, Calgary hosts Edmonton in the Saddledome. After a scoreless first, Tyler Toffoli scores a pair of goals to give the Flames the 2-0 lead. In the third, Devin Shore scores his third of the year to bring the Oilers within a goal but Johnny Gaudreau nets his 23rd to give Calgary the 3-1 win over Edmonton.
- COL v. NJ – 7p ET
- VGK v. PHI – 7p ET
- FLA v. PIT – 7p ET
- SEA v. TOR – 730p ET
- ARI v. DET – 730p ET
- OTT v. STL – 8p ET
- DAL v. NAS – 8p ET
- NYR v. MIN – 8p ET
- TB v. WIN – 8p ET
- ANA v. CHI – 830p ET
- WAS v. CAL – 9p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Ward’s experience as fill-in AHL coach was memorable (Color of Hockey)
- NHL unveiling new logo for Stanley Cup playoffs and Final (AP)
- Inside the NHL: The Jack Campbell question, a GTA hat-trick and trade deadline tidbits (Toronto Star – $)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: The Hot Stove Is Heating Up (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.