NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, February 23rd, 2022
- The Montreal Canadiens announced that they have promoted John Sedgwick to assistant general manager.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Dallas Stars – 730p ET
- In Dallas the Stars would play host to the Winnipeg Jets, and in the first period Blake Wheeler would score to give the Jets the 1-0 lead. In the second period Jamie Benn would strike to tie the game at one for the Stars. Then in the third period Mark Scheifele would score for the Jets and Denis Gurianov would strike for the Stars to send the game to overtime tied at two. In the extra frame Tyler Seguin would strike to give the Stars the 3-2 victory over the Jets.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Detroit Red Wings – 730p ET
- In Detroit the Red Wings would host their old 90’s rival Colorado Avalanche, and in the first period Gabriel Landeskog and Tyson Jost would score to give the Avs the 2-0 lead. In the second period Filip Zadina would strike for the Wings, but Nazem Kadri would score to keep the Avs ahead by two. Then in the third period Robby Fabbri would strike for the Wings, but Valeri Nichushkin and Landeskog would score to give the Avalanches the 5-2 victory over the Red Wings.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 730p ET
- In Tampa Bay the Lightning would take on the Edmonton Oilers, and in the first period Connor McDavid would strike for the Oilers, but goals from Pat Maroon and Steven Stamkos would give the Bolts the 2-1 lead. In the second period Zach Hyman would score for the Oilers, but Brayden Point and Corey Perry would score to give the Bolts the two goal lead. Then in the third period McDavid would score his second of the game for the Oilers, but Nikita Kucherov would score to give the Lightning the 5-3 victory over the Oilers.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Montreal Canadiens – 730p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would host the Buffalo Sabres, and in the first period Nick Suzuki would strike to give the Habs the 1-0 lead. In the second period Suzuki would strike again to grow the Habs lead to two. Then in the third period Cole Caufield and Jake Evans would score to give the Canadiens the 4-0 victory over the Sabres.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Arizona Coyotes – 10p ET
- In Glendale, the Kings face off against the Coyotes and after a scoreless first period, Arizona gets on the board when Clayton Keller nets his 21st of the year. Then, the Kings get a pair of goals when Blake Lizotte scores his seventh and then Viktor Arvidsson scores his 14th of the year to give Los Angeles the 2-1 lead. Arizona then ties the contest up when Barrett Hayton scores his third of the year. In the third, Viktor Arvidsson scores his second, and the game winner, as the Kings get the 3-2 win over the Coyotes.
- NJ v. PIT – 7p ET
- MIN v. TOR – 7p ET
- CLB v. FLA – 7p ET
- WAS v. NYR – 7p ET
- DAL v. NAS – 830p ET
- CAL v. VAN – 10p ET
- BOS v. SEA – 10p ET
- NYI v. SJ – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- HistorZee: Zdeno Chara’s path to obtaining sole possession of most NHL games played by a defenseman (1,652) (NHL.com)