NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, February 9th, 2022
- The Seattle Kraken claimed defenseman Dennis Cholowski off of waivers from the Washington Capitals.
- Cholowski was originally claimed off waivers from Seattle by Washington on Oct. 14th, 2021.
- The Montreal Canadiens announced that they have relieved head coach Dominique Ducharme of his duties.
- The Canadiens would name Martin St. Louis as interim head coach.
- Goaltender Tuukka Rask announced his retirement from the NHL.
- Rask attempted to come back in January after having hip surgery over the summer.
- The St. Louis Blues re-signed head coach Craig Berube to a three year deal.
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that they have suspended Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand.
- Marchand would be suspended for six games for roughing and high sticking Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender Tristan Jarry on Tuesday night.
- Per the CBA, and based on his average annual salary, Marchand will forfeit $448,170.72.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would play host to the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period both teams would trade a pair of goals as Dylan Larkin and Lucas Raymond would strike on the Wings, and Isaac Ratcliffe and Travis Sanheim would score for the Flyers. In the second period Scott Laughton would score for the Flyers, but goals from Pius Suter and Robby Fabbri would score to give the Wings the 4-3 lead. Then in the third period Givani Smith and Vladislav Namestnikov would score to give the Red Wings the 6-3 victory over the Flyers.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Edmonton Oilers – 8p ET
- In Edmonton the Oilers would host the Chicago Blackhawks, and in the first period Alex DeBrincat and Brandon Hagel would score to give the Blackhawks the 2-0 lead. In the second period Leon Draisaitl would strike for the Oilers to bring them back within one. Then in the third period Dylan Strome and Kirby Dach would score to give the Blackhawks the 4-1 victory over the Oilers.
- Nashville Predators v. Dallas Stars – 8p ET
- In Dallas the Stars would play host to the Nashville Predators, and in the first period Jason Robertson would strike for the Stars while Eeli Tolvanen would strike for the Preds for a 1-1 tie. In the second period Matt Duchene and Yakov Trenin would score for the Preds and Robertson and Roope Hintz would score for the Stars for a 3-3 tie. Then in the third period Luke Glendening would score to give the Stars the 4-3 victory over the Predators.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Calgary Flames – 930p ET
- In Calgary the Flames would host the Vegas Golden Knights, and in the first period Johnny Gaudreau, Mikael Backlund, and Elias Lindholm would score to give the Flames the 3-0 lead. In the second period, Andrew Mangiapane would score to grow the Flames lead to four. In the third, the Flames get a pair of goals when Matthew Tkachuk nets his 21st of the year and then Andrew Mangiapane scores his second of the night as the Flames burn the Golden Knights with a 6-0 shutout win.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Seattle Kraken – 10p ET
- In Seattle the Kraken would host the Arizona Coyotes, and in the first period Phil Kessel would strike to give the Coyotes the 1-0 lead. The ‘Yotes then take the 2-0 lead when Nick Schmaltz nets his sixth. In the third, Seattle gets on the board just 16 seconds into the period when Colin Blackwell nets his fifth of the year. Arizona re-takes the two goal lead when Anton Stralman scores his third of the year but then Calle Jarnkrok nets his eighth of the year to bring the Kraken within a goal once again. Arizona then gets a pair of goals when Alex Galchenyuk nets his third of the year and then Nick Schmaltz his second of the night as the Coyotes get the 5-2 win over the Kraken.
- New York Islanders v. Vancouver Canucks – 1030p ET
- In Vancouver, the Islanders face off against the Canucks in the their lone trip to Western Canada on the year. In the first, The Isles take the 1-0 lead when Zach Parise nets his fourth of the year. Then, the Isles make it a 2-0 lead when Brock Nelson strikes for his 15th on the year. Anders Lee then strikes with his 11th of the year to give the Islanders the 3-0 lead but then the lead increases to four after Casey Cizikas nets his fourth. Mathew Barzal then nets his 11th as the Isles make it a 5-0 lead. Vancouver finally responds after Oliver Ekman-Larsson strikes with his fourth of the year. In the second, the ‘Nucks get a pair of goals when Elias Pettersson scores his 13th of the year and then Luke Schenn finds the net with his third to make it a 5-3 New York lead. In the third, Matt Martin’s second of the year to give the New York the 6-3 win over Vancouver.
- CLB v. BUF – 7p ET
- CAR v. BOS – 7p ET
- PIT v. OTT – 7p ET
- WAS v. MON – 7p ET
- NJ v. STL – 8p ET
- TOR v. CAL – 9p ET
- TB v. COL – 9p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- How J.T. Brown and Everett Fitzhugh became the NHL’s first all-Black broadcast duo (The Athletic – $)