NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, February 8th, 2022
- The St. Louis Blues made a pair of signings.
- The Blues re-signed defenseman Robert Bortuzzo to a 2 year deal with an AAV of $950k per season.
- The Blues also re-signed forward Logan Brown to a 1 year deal worth $750k.
- The Tampa Bay Lightning re-signed forward Pat Maroon to a two year deal with an AAV of $1 million per season.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa the Carolina Hurricanes would continue their Canada road trip as they take on the Ottawa Senators, and in the first period Brady Tkachuk and Alex Formenton would score to give the Sens the 2-0 lead. In the second period Tkachuk would net his second of the game and Chris Tierney would score to grow the Sens lead to four. Then in the third period Andrei Svechnikov, Brendan Smith, and Vincent Trocheck would score for the Canes, but it would not be enough as the Senators would hold on for the 4-3 victory over the Hurricanes.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In Boston the Bruins would play host to the Pittsburgh Penguins, and in the first period David Pastrnak would net a pair of goals to give the B’s the 2-0 lead. In the second period the Pens would storm back as Danton Heinen would net a pair and Sidney Crosby would score to give the Pens the 3-2 lead. Then in the third period Bryan Rust would score to give the Penguins the 4-2 victory over the Bruins.
- New Jersey Devils v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- The New Jersey Devils would continue their Canadian road trip as they visit the Montreal Canadiens, and in the first period Michael McLeod and Dawson Mercer would score to give the Devils the 2-0 lead. In the second period Brett Kulak would score for the Habs, but goals from Nico Hischier, Jesper Boqvist, and McLeod would give the Devils the 5-1 lead. Then in the third period Pavel Zacha and Tomas Tatar would score to give the Devils the 7-1 victory over the Canadiens.
- Scott’s TXHT Recap – Devils End Losing Streak in Route
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In Washington the Capitals would play host to the Columbus Blue Jackets, and late in the first period Garnet Hathaway would score to give the Caps the 1-0 lead. In the second period Nic Dowd would strike to grow the Caps lead to two, but goals from Patrik Laine and Adam Boqvist would score to tie the game at two. Evgeny Kuznetsov would strike on the powerplay for the Caps, but Laine’s second powerplay goal would tie the game at three for the Jackets. Then in the third period Tom Wilson would score for the Caps, but goals from Trey Fix-Wolansky and Boone Jenner would give the Blue Jackets the 5-4 victory over the Capitals.
- Minnesota Wild v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jet would play host to the Minnesota Wild, and in the first period Mark Scheifele would score to give the Jets the 1-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period the Jets would get a goal from Nate Schmidt to take the 2-0 victory over the Wild.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p ET
- In Edmonton the Oilers would play host to the Vegas Golden Knights, and in the first period Brett Howden and William Karlsson would score to give the Knights the 2-0 lead. In the second period Alex Pietrangelo would strike to grow the Knights lead to three. In the third, Reilly Smith seals the game for Vegas with his 13th of the year to give the Golden Knights the 4-0 win over the Oilers.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver, the Coyotes visit the Canucks and after a scoreless first period, Vancouver takes the 1-0 lead when Conor Garland nets his 11th of the year. Then, Vancouver gets a pair of goals from Bo Horvat, his 14th, and Elias Pettersson, his 12th, to give the ‘Nucks the 3-0 lead. Arizona will get on the board when Lawson Crouse nets his 12th of the year. In the third, Vancouver gets another pair of goals when J.T. Miller scores his 16th and then Brock Boeser scores his 13th of the year as the Canucks breeze by the Coyotes with the 5-1 win.
- DET v. PHI – 7p ET
- CHI v. EDM – 8p ET
- NAS v. DAL – 8p ET
- VGK v. CAL – 930p ET
- ARI v. SEA – 10p ET
- NYI v. VAN – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- It’s Time For Danny Wirtz to Become the Face of Blackhawks Ownership (Bleacher Nation)
- Insider Trading: Flames looking to add secondary scoring (TSN)
- Paving the Way for Future Generations of Black Hockey Players (Ian Kennedy via San Jose Sharks)