NHL News and Notes from Saturday, January 29th, 2022
- Anaheim Ducks v. Ottawa Senators – 1230p ET
- In Ottawa the Senators would play host to the Anaheim Ducks, and in the first period Rikard Rakell would score to get the Ducks on the board, but Tyler Ennis would score for the Sens to tie the game at one. Then after a scoreless second period Troy terry would score to give the Ducks the 2-1 victory over the Senators.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Philadelphia Flyers – 1p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would honor Keith Yandle’s Ironman record as they would host the Los Angeles Kings, and in the first period Gerry Mayhew would score to give the Flyers the 1-0 lead. In the second period Viktor Arvidsson would score for the Kings, but Cam Atkinson’s tally would keep the Flyers in the lead by one. Then in the third period Arvidsson would net his second of the game for the Kings, but Atkinson’s second of the game would give the Flyers the 3-2 lead. However, Anze Kopitar would score in the final minute of regulation to tie the game at three to send the game to overtime. In overtime Scott Laughton would score to give the Flyers the 4-3 victory over the Kings.
- Seattle Kraken v. New York Islanders – 2p ET
- Postponed due to weather
- Rescheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 2nd at 7p ET
- Winnipeg Jets v. St. Louis Blues – 3p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would host the Winnipeg Jets, and in the first period Vladimir Tarasenko would score for the Blues, but Paul Stastny would strike to tie the game at one for the Jets. In the second, Kyle Connor nets his 24th to give the Jets the 2-1 lead and then Nate Schmidt scores his second during a power play opportunity to give the Jets the 3-1 lead. In the third, Paul Stastny nets an empty winner, his 11th of the year, to give Winnipeg the 4-1 win over St. Louis.
- San Jose Sharks v. Florida Panthers – 6p ET
- In Florida, the Sharks look to take a bite out of the Panthers. In the first, Tomas Hertl scores his 22nd of the year to give San Jose the 1-0 lead and then Jonathan Dahlen nets his 10th of the year on the power play to give the Sharks the 2-0 lead. Florida gets on the board when Gustav Forsling scores his second of the year. In the second, Matt Nieto nets his fourth of the year to give the Sharks the two goal lead once again. In the third, Aleksander Barkov scores his 20th of the year to bring Florida within a goal once more but Dahlen scores his second of the night, during another power play opportunity, to make it a 4-2 Sharks lead. Florida comes within a goal when Mason Marchment scores his sixth of the year and then the Panthers tie it up when Jonathan Huberdeau strikes with his 17th of the year. In overtime, Sam Bennett scores his 21st of the year as the Panthers down the Sharks 5-4.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Edmonton, the Canadiens host the Oilers for the lone time this season. In the first, Evander Kane scores his first goal of the year to give Edmonton the 1-0 lead. Then, Zach Hyman nets his 12th of the year and then Leon Draisaitl nets his 30th of the year to give the Oilers the 3-0 lead. In the second, Josh Anderson nets his ninth of the year to get the Habs on the board but the Oilers respond with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins fourth of the year to re-gain the three goal lead. Zach Hyman goes on to net his second goal of the night to give the Oilers the 5-1 lead but then Tyler Toffoli scores a power play goal, his eighth of the year to make it a 5-2 Edmonton lead. Leon Draisaitl goes on to respond with his second of the night to increase the Oilers lead to four. In the third, Edmonton secures the win after Derek Ryan scores his third of the year as the Oilers breeze by the Canadiens with the 7-2 win.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Detroit Red Wings – 7p ET
- In an Original Six match-up, the Maple Leafs visit the Motor City to take on the Red Wings. In the first, Detroit takes the 1-0 lead with Dylan Larkin’s 21st of the year but Toronto ties it up with Pierre Engvall’s sixth of the year. In the second, Vladislav Namestnikov scores his 12th of the year to give the Red Wings the 2-1 lead. The Red Wings then take the two goal lead after Tyler Bertuzzi nets his 21st of the year then Toronto comes within a goal when Michael Bunting nets his 10th of the year. Detroit then re-takes the two goal lead with a power play goal by Dylan Larkin, his second of goal of the night. In the third, Michael Bunting gets a pair of goals to complete the hat trick to tie the game 4-4. Rasmus Dahlin then nets his first goal of the year to give the Maple Leafs the 5-4 lead and then Mitchell Marner nets his 11th goal of the year, an empty net goal while on the power play to give the Leafs the two goal lead. John Tavares then secures the win for Toronto with a power play goal, his 17th of the year, to give the Maple Leafs the 7-4 win over the Red Wings.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa Bay, the Lightning play host to the Golden Knights and in the first period, Brett Howden scores his sixth of the year to give Vegas the 1-0 lead. In the second, William Carrier nets his fifth of the year to give the Golden Knights the 2-0 lead. In the third, Tampa Bay gets a pair of goals when Ross Colton nets his ninth and then Corey Perry scores his 12th to tie the game 2-2. In the shootout, Mark Stone scores the game winner as Vegas downs Tampa Bay 3-2.
- New Jersey Devils v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina for Harford Whalers night, the Devils visit the Hurricanes, and in the first Jordan Martinook nets his second to give the Canes the 1-0 lead and then Andrei Svechnikov scores his 15th of the year as Carolina takes the 2-0 lead. New Jersey then gets on the board when Jesper Boqvist scores his first of the year to bring the Devils within a goal but that is not enough as Carolina gets the 2-1 win over New Jersey.
- Scott’s TXHT Game Recap – Devils Fall Short to Canes
- Buffalo Sabres v. Arizona Coyotes – 9p ET
- In Arizona, the Sabres visit the desert for their lone visit to face off against the Coyotes and in the first period, Kyle Okposo nets his eighth of the year to give the Sabres the 1-0 lead and then they take the 2-0 lead when Peyton Krebs scores his third of the year. In the second, Alex Tuch nets his fourth of the year to give Buffalo the 3-0 lead. In the third, Arizona gets on the board with a power play goal scored by Shayne Gostisbehere, his eighth goal of the season, but the comeback can’t be completed as the Sabres get the 3-1 win over the Coyotes.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Calgary Flames – 10p ET
- In the Saddledome, Calgary faces off against Vancouver for the first time on the season. Johnny Gaudreau scores the lone goal in the contest, his 17th of the year, in the overtime frame to give the Flames the 1-0 win over the Canucks.
- SEA v. NYR – 1p ET
- LA v. PIT – 1p ET
- SJ v. CAR – 5p ET
- BOS v. DAL – 7p ET
- CLB v. MON – 7p ET
- MIN v. NYI – 730p ET
- BUF v. COL – 8p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Conor Garland potentially available for trade as Canucks forwards draw interest (HNIC)