NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, January 25th, 2022
- The San Jose Sharks announced that defenseman Erik Karlsson underwent surgery.
- Karlsson underwent successful surgery on his left forearm.
- Karlsson is expected to re-evaluated in mid-March.
- Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Keith Yandle broke Doug Jarvis’ ironman record by playing in his 965th consecutive game to become the NHL’s new “Ironman”.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa the Senators would take on the Buffalo Sabres, and in the first period Tyler Ennis would net a pair of goals and Drake Batherson would score to give the Sens the 3-0 lead. In the second period Alex Formenton would strike to grow the Sens lead to four. Then in the third period Ennis would complete the hat trick to give the Senators the 5-0 victory over the Sabres.
- Dallas Stars v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In New Jersey the Devils would host the Dallas Stars, and in the first period Joe Pavelski would net a pair of goals and Jacob Peterson would score to give the stars the 3-0 lead. In the second period Roope Hintz would score to grow the Stars lead to four, but Jesper Bratt would score to get the Devils on the board. Then in the third period Jani Hakanpaa would score to give the Stars the 5-1 victory over the Devils.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- The Pittsburgh Penguins would host the Arizona Coyotes, and after a scoreless first period Nick Schmaltz and Clayton Keller would score for the Coyotes and Bryan Rust and Kris Letang would strike for the Pens for a 2-2 tie. Then in the third period Schmaltz would net his second of the game for the Coyotes, but goals from Brock McGinn, Sidney Crosby, Letang, and Brian Boyle to give the Penguins the 6-3 victory over the Coyotes.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would host the Vegas Golden Knights, and after a scoreless first period Nolan Patrick would score for the Knights, but goals from Nino Niederreiter and Vincent Trocheck would score to give the Canes the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Sebastian Aho would strike on the powerplay for the Canes, but goals from Brett Howden and Nicolas Hague to tie the game at three. Then in overtime Aho would net his second of the game to give the Hurricanes the 4-3 victory over the Golden Knights.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. New York Islanders – 730p ET
- On Long Island the New York Islanders would host the Philadelphia Flyers, and int he first period Claude Giroux and Justin Braun would score for the Flyers, but goals from Noah Dobson and Anders Lee would score to tie the game at two. In the second period Mathew Barzal would score to give the Isles the 3-2 lead. Then in the third period Gerry Mayhew would score to tie the game at three, but Zach Parise would score to give the Islanders the 4-3 victory over the Flyers.
- Florida Panthers v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jets would host the Florida Panthers, and in the first period Paul Stastny and Kyle Connor would score for the Jets, but Mason Marchment would net a pair of goals and Anton Lundell would score to give the Panthers the 3-2 lead. In the second period Pierre-Luc Dubois would score for the Jets, but Carter Verhaeghe would score to keep the Panthers ahead by one. Then in the third period Sam Bennett would score to give the Panthers the 5-3 victory over the Jets.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancovuer, the Oilers visit the Canucks. After a scoreless first period, Elias Pettersson nets his 10th of the year and then Tyler Motte scores his fifth of the year to give the ‘Nucks the 2-0 lead. In the third, Ryan McLeod nets his fifth and then Leon Draisaitl scores his 29th to tie the game 2-2. In the overtime session, Connor McDavid scores his 20th of the year to give the Oilers the 3-2 win over the Canucks.
- Nashville v. Seattle Kraken – 10p ET
- In the Emerald City, the Predators visit the Kraken. In the first period, Seattle takes the 1-0 lead when Jared McCann scores his 16th of the year but then the Preds tie the game up when Luke Kunin nets his 10th of the year. In the second, Adam Larsson scores his third of the year to put Seattle up by a goal once more but Filip Forsberg scores his 21st of the year to tie the game for Nashville. Mattias Ekholm nets his third of the year to give the Preds the 3-2 lead. In the third, Matt Duchene secures the win for Nashville with his 20th goal, a power play goal, as the Preds double up the Kraken 4-2.
- ANA v. TOR – 7p ET
- SJ v. WAS – 7p ET
- CAL v. CLB – 7p ET
- CHI v. DET – 730p ET
- BOS v. COL – 10p ET