NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, January 19th, 2022
- The NHL and NHLPA announced that they have agreed to updates to the COVID-19 Protocol.
- The updates include modifications to testing.
- Implementation is pending an agreement at the end of this month.
- The NHL Department of Player Safety would hand out a pair of fines.
- Los Angeles Kings forward Phillip Danault was fined $5,000 for a dangerous trip on forward Brayden Point of Tampa Bay.
- The fine is the maximum allowed per the CBA.
- Montreal Canadiens forward Jonathan Drouin was also fined $5,000 for cross checking Dallas Stars forward Tyler Seguin.
- The fine is the maximum allowed under the CBA.
- The Washington Capitals recalled forward Axel Jonsson-Fjallby from Hershey and assigned him to the Taxi Squad.
- The Detroit Red Wings claimed forward Gemel Smith off of waivers from the Tampa Bay Lightning.
- NHL DoPS announced that they have suspended Washington Capitals defenseman Dmitry Orlov.
- Orlov was suspended for two games for kneeing Winnipeg Jets forward Nikolaj Ehlers on Tuesday night.
- Under the terms of the CBA, and based on Orlov’s AAV, he will forfeit $51,000.
- Arizona Coyotes v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In New Jersey the Devils would play host to the Arizona Coyotes, and in the first period Nico Hischier would score to give the Devils the 1-0 lead. In the second period Dyson Mayo, Lawson Crouse, and Travis Boyd would all score to give the Coyotes the 3-1 lead. Then in the third period Johan Larsson would score to give the Coyotes the 4-1 victory over the Devils.
- Scott’s TXHT Recap – Coyotes Humiliate the Devils
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. New York Rangers – 730p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers would host their Original Six rival Toronto Maple Leafs. In the first period Ryan Reaves would score for the Rangers, but goals from Ilya Mikheyev, Mitch Marner, and Michael Bunting would give the Leafs the 3-1 lead. In the second period Reaves would net his second of the game and Adam Fox would score to tie the game at three for the Rangers. Then in the third period Ryan Strome, Chris Keider, and Fox would score to give the Rangers the 6-3 victory over the Maple Leafs.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In Anaheim the Ducks would host the Colorado Avalanche, and after a scoreless first period Samuel Girard would score to give the Avs the 1-0 lead. Then in the third period Nazem Kadri would score to give the Avalanche the 2-0 victory over the Ducks.
- WAS v. BOS – 7p ET
- DAL v. BUF – 7p ET
- CLB v. PHI – 7p ET
- OTT v. PIT – 7p ET
- WIN v. NAS – 8p ET
- FLA v. EDM – 9p ET
- COL v. LA – 930p ET
- MON v. VGK – 10p ET
- SJ v. VGK – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Insider Trading: Oilers remain status quo as frustration builds (TSN)
- O’Ree enjoys taking part in Bruins number retirement ceremony virtually (Color of Hockey)
- 32 Thoughts Blog: As the noise of Kent Hughes’ hiring subsides, the real work begins (SportsNet)
- A journalist, a star player and the broken media dynamic (Daily Faceoff)