NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, December 8th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has fined Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Ian Cole.
- Cole was fined $5,000 for kneeing Winnipeg Jets forward Mark Scheifele on Tuesday night.
- The fine is the maximum allowed per the CBA.
- The NHLPA has announced that they will be appealing Toronto Maple Leafs forward Jason Spezza’s suspension.
- Spezza was suspended six games on Tuesday for kneeing Winnipeg Jets defenseman Neal Pionk in the head on Sunday.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In New Jersey the Devils would debut their new “Jersey” as they host the Philadelphia Flyers, and after a scoreless first period the Devils would get goals from Jesper Bratt and Dawson Mercer to take the 2-0 lead. Then in the third period Michael McLeod would get the empty netter to give the Devils the 3-0 victory over the Flyers.
- Scott’s TXHT Recap – Devils Shutout Flyers, End Skid
- Colorado Avalanche v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers would host the Colorado Avalanche, and in the first period Mikko Rantanen would open the scoring for the Avs, but goals from Jacob Trouba and Nils Lundkvist would give the Rangers the 2-1 lead. In the second period the Avs would smother the Rangers as they would get goals from Nathan MacKinnon, Nazem Kadri, Alex Newhook, and Logan O’Connor (two goals in 22 seconds) to take a commanding 6-2 lead. Then in the third period Filip Chytil would score for the Rangers, but Rantanen’s second of the game would give the Avalanche the 7-3 victory.
- Boston Bruins v. Vancouver Canucks – 9p ET
- In Vancouver the Canucks would play host to the Boston Bruins, and after a scoreless first period Brock Boeser would strike on the powerplay to give the Canucks the 1-0 lead. In the third period, Boston gets on the board with Patrice Bergeron’s ninth goal of the year. After a scoreless overtime, Bo Horvat scores the game winner in the shootout to give the Canucks the 2-1 win over the Boston Bruins.
- Dallas Stars v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas the Golden Knights would play host to the Dallas Stars, and in the first period Jason Robertson would strike on the powerplay to give the Stars the 1-0 lead. In the second, the Golden Knights get on the board after Mark Stone scores his second of the year. Dallas makes it a 2-1 lead once Tyler Seguin scores his seventh of the year followed by the Stars getting the two goal lead when Joe Pavelski nets his eighth of the season. Vegas comes within a goal once more when Jonathan Marchessault scores his 11th goal of the year. As this game moves to the third, Dallas takes the 4-2 lead when Pavelski nets his second of the contest but Vegas comes within a goal again when Michael Amadio nets his second of the year. The Golden Knights then tie the contest when Mark Stone strikes for his second goal of the night. Max Pacioretty then scores the game winner, his seventh goal of the year, as Vegas gets the 5-4 win over the Dallas Stars.
- TB v. TOR – 7p ET
- CHI v. MON – 7p ET
- ANA v. CLB – 7p ET
- NAS v. NYI – 730p ET
- DET v. STL – 8p ET
- CAR v. CAL – 9p ET
- BOS v. EDM – 9p ET
- WIN v. SEA – 10p ET
- DAL v. LA – 1030p ET
- MIN v. SJ – 1030p ET