NHL News and Notes from Monday, November 29th, 2021
- The Pittsburgh Penguins announced that they have entered an agreement with Fenway Sports Group for FSG to purchase the team.
- Current owners Ron Burkle and Mario Lemieux will remain minority owners of the team.
- The deal is pending approval from the NHL Board of Governors, and is expected before the end of the year.
- The NHL named Washington Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin the First Star for the past week in the League.
- Tristan Jarry and Cale Makar would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Ovi Keeps Climbing
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has suspended Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand.
- Marchand was suspended three games for slew-footing Vancouver Canucks defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson on Sunday night.
- Marchand will be forfeiting $91,875.00 in salary per the CBA and based on his average annual salary.
- Seattle Kraken v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo the Sabres would play host to the Seattle Kraken, and in the first period the Kraken would be unleashed as Carson Soucy, Brandon Tanev, and Jared McCann would score to give them the 3-0 lead. In the second period Brett Murray and Jeff Skinner would score for the Sabres, but McCann’s second of the game and a tally from Mason Appleton would give the Kraken the 5-2 lead. Then in the third period Skinner would net his second of the game and Dylan Cozens would score for the Sabres, but goals from Jaden Schwartz and Appleton would give the Kraken the 7-4 victory over the Sabres.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Winnipeg Jets – 730p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jets would play host to the Arizona Coyotes and after a scoreless first period Antoine Roussel would score to give the Coyotes the 1-0 victory over the Jets.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Montreal Canadiens – 730p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would play host to the Vancouver Canucks, and in the first period Elias Petterson would score for the Canucks, but a tally from Ryan Poehling would tie the game at one for the Habs. In the second period Conor Garland would score to give the Canucks the 2-1 victory.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Calgary Flames – 9p ET
- In Calgary the Flames would take on the Pittsburgh Penguins, and after a scoreless first period Milan Lucic would strike to give the Flames the 1-0 lead. Then in the third period Jake Guentzel would score on the powerplay to tie the game at one and send the game to overtime. After a scoreless five minutes of extra hockey it would be Mikael Backlund would score to give the Flames the 2-1 victory over the Penguins.
- DET v. BOS – 7p ET
- WAS v. FLA – 7p ET
- SJ v. NJ – 7p ET
- NYI v. PHI – Postponed
- TB v. STL – 8p ET
- CLB v. NAS – 8p ET
- ARI v. MIN – 8p ET
- CAR v. DAL – 830p ET
- ANA v. LA – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Inside the NHL: What’s next for the Canadiens with Marc Bergevin out, Leafs dress code magic and hot mic takes. (Toronto Star – $)
- Olympic dream drives Lebanon (Color of Hockey)