NHL News and Notes from Thursday, November 18th, 2021
- The Montreal Canadiens recalled forward Cole Caufield from Laval of the AHL.
- Troy Brouwer announced his retirement from the NHL.
- Brouwer play 14 seasons in the NHL and played for the Chicago Blackhawks, Washington Capitals, Calgary Flames, Florida Panthers, and St. Louis Blues.
- Brouwer would win the Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks in 2010.
- Calgary Flames v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo the Sabres would host the Calgary Flames, and in the first period Johanny Gaudreau would score to give the Flames the 1-0 lead. In the second period Guadreau would net his second of the game, Andrew Mangiapane would strike for a pair of goals, and Matthew Tkachuk would score to give the Flames the five goal lead and the 5-0 victory.
- New York Rangers v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would host their Original Six rival New York Rangers, and in the first period Morgan Rielly would strike to give the Leafs the 1-0 lead. In the second period Rielly would net his second of the game for the Leafs to take the two goal lead. Then in the third period Dryden Hunt would score to get the Rangers on the board, however, the Leafs would hold on for the 2-1 victory.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would host the Pittsburgh Penguins, and in the first period Sidney Crosby, Danton Heinen, and Jake Guentzel would score to give the Pens the 3-0 lead. In the second period Teddy Blueger and Brock McGinn would score to grow the Pens lead to five. Then in the third period Blueger would net his second of the game to give the Penguins the 6-0 victory over the Canadiens.
- Nashville Predators v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- Postponed due to COVID-19
- New Jersey Devils v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida the Panthers would host the New Jersey Devils, and in the first period Dougie Hamilton would score for the Devils to take the lead, but Carter Verhaeghe would score to tie the game at one. Then in the second period Eetu Luostarinen, Jonathan Huberdeau, and Anthony Duclair would score to give the Panthers the 4-1 victory.
- Scott’s TXHT Recap – Panthers Down the Devils
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would play host to the Tampa Bay Lighting, and in the first period Claude Giroux and Travis Konecny would score to give the Flyers the 2-0 lead. In the second period Brayden Point and Mathieu Joseph would score to tie the game at two for the Bolts. Then in the third period Steven Stamkos would score for the Bolts, but Giroux’s second of the game to tie the game at three for the Flyers. After an extra five minutes of hockey it would be Point in the shootout to give the Lightning the 4-3 victory.
- San Jose Sharks v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would host the San Jose Sharks, and in the first period Brandon Saad would strike for the Blues to take the lead. In the second period Jonathan Dahlen would score for the Sharks, but goals from Robert Thomas and Saad would give the Blues the two goal lead. Then in the third period Jordan Kyrou would score to give the Blues the 4-1 victory.
- Dallas Stars v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In Minnesota Ryan Suter would return with the Dallas Stars as they take on the Wild. In the first period Rem Pitlick and Kirill Kaprizov would score to give the Wild the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Ryan Hartman would score to grow the Wild’s lead to three. In the third period Jacob Peterson would score to get the Stars on the board, but Alex Goligoski would net his first a member of the Wild, and Frederick Gaudreau would score to give them the 5-1 lead. Jamie Benn would score to bring the Stars back within three, but Mats Zuccarello and Victor Rask would score to give the Wild the 7-2 victory.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p ET
- In Edmonton the Oilers would play host to the Winnipeg Jets. After a scoreless 40 minutes, Winnipeg gets on the board when Nikolaj Ehlers nets his fifth of the season to give the Jets the 1-0 lead but Edmonton ties it when Connor McDavid nets his 11th of the year. After a scoreless overtime session, Kyle Turris gets the game winner in the shootout session as the Oilers get the 2-1 win over the Jets.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Arizona Coyotes – 9p ET
- In Arizona the Coyotes would host the Columbus Blue Jackets, and in the first period Ryan Dzingel would net his first as a Coyote for the 1-0 lead, but Boone Jenner would strike to tie the game at one for the Jackets. In the second period Jenner would net his second of the game, and Justin Danforth would score for the Jackets, but Phil Kessel and Lawson Crouse would score to tie the game at three. In the third, Zach Werenski gets his fourth of the year, a power play goal, to make it a 4-3 Columbus lead but Jakob Chychrun gets his second of the year to tie the game once again. After a scoreless overtime, the game heads to the shootout and Columbus gets the 5-4 win after Yegor Chinakhov gets the winner.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas, the Red Wings look to get the win over the Golden Knights. After a scoreless first period, Vegas gets on the board when Nicolas Hague gets his third of the year and soon after, Zach Whitecloud scores his first of the year as the Golden Knights take the 2-0 lead. Detroit comes within a goal when Givani Smith gets his first of the year. Zach Whitecloud then scores his second of the game to give Vegas the two goal lead once more. Vegas jumps out to the three goal lead when Paul Cotter gets his second of the year. In the third, Reilly Smith makes it a 5-1 Golden Knights lead with his sixth of the year. Detroit cuts the lead by three with Joe Veleno’s second of the year but the Golden Knights breeze by the Red Wings with the 5-2 win.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In Anaheim, the Hurricanes look to bring the storm to the Ducks. In the first period, Ethan Bear scores his first goal of the year and as a member of the Hurricanes franchise to give the Canes the 1-0 lead. The Ducks tie it up when Troy Terry gets his 12th of the year. After a scoreless second, Seth Jarvis scores his third in the third period as the Canes get the 2-1 win over the Ducks.
- WIN v. VAN – 10p ET
- COL v. SEA – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Coyotes GM Bill Armstrong on why they went scorched earth and the long road ahead. (The Athletic – $)
- Four NHL GMs on the Hot Seat. (The Hockey News)
- Sabres’ Mark Pysyk helping Rasmus Dahlin: ‘He’s like, ‘Dude, relax’. (Buffalo Hockey Beat)
- Insider Trading: How close are the Sens to returning to play? (TSN)