NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, November 17th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has fined Montreal Canadiens forward Brendan Gallagher.
- Gallagher was fined $2,500 for roughing New York Rangers forward Barclay Goodrow on Tuesday night.
- DoPS also fined Calgary Flames forward Mikael Backlund.
- Backlund was fined for $5,000 for cross checking Philadelphia Flyers forward Travis Konecny on Tuesday night.
- The fine is the maximum allowed under the CBA.
- The New York Islanders announced that defenseman Ryan Pulock will miss 4-6 weeks due to an upper body injury.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Vancouver Canucks – 9p ET
- In Vancouver, the Canucks look to get back on the right track with a win over the Avalanche. In the first period, Mikko Rantanen nets his sixth to give the Avs the 1-0 lead. Vancouver ties the game in the second with Conor Garland’s fourth goal of the season. As the game shifts to the third, Vancouver takes the 2-1 lead when Tucker Poolman scores his first goal of the season. Colorado responds when Nazem Kadri scores his fifth of the year to make it a 2-2 game. The Avalanche re-take the lead when Cale Makar nets his third of the year. The Avs seal the win with Gabriel Landeskog’s sixth of the year as Colorado doubles up Vancouver 4-2.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Seattle Kraken – 10p ET
- In the Emerald City, the Kraken look to stop the Blackhawks win streak at three. In the first, Seth Jones scores his second of the year as the Blackhawks take the 1-0 lead. In the second, Alex DeBrincat scores his ninth of the season as Chicago jumps out to the 2-0 lead. In the third, Patrick Kane, netting his sixth of the year, gives the ‘Hawks the commanding three goal lead. Seattle responds when Jared McCann nets his sixth of the year to cut the Chicago lead to two. The Kraken come within a goal when Yanni Gourde scores his fourth of the year but Chicago seals the win after Jake McCabe scores his first as the Blackhawks double up the Kraken 4-2.
- Washington Capitals v. Los Angeles Kings – 1030p ET
- In the City of Angels, the Capitals look to knock the crown off of the Kings. After a scoreless first and second period, Garnet Hathaway scores his fourth of the year with 3:30 left in the third to give the Capitals the 1-0 lead. Hathaway gets his second of the contest with an empty net goal with 1:18 left in the contest as Washington shuts out the Kings 2-0.
- CAL v. BUF – 7p ET
- NYR v. TOR – 7p ET
- PIT v. MON – 7p ET
- NAS v. OTT – Postponed
- NJ v. FLA – 7p ET
- TB v. PHI – 7p ET
- SJ v. STL – 8p ET
- DAL v. MIN – 8p ET
- WIN v. EDM – 9p ET
- CLB v. ARI – 9p ET
- DET v. VGK – 10p ET
- CAR v. ANA – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- The Insiders are back as they discuss the Canucks, COVID-19 and the Olympics, the Penguins, and more. (TSN)
- Ducks Extend Winning Streak To 8; Win 1000th Game (DucksNPucks)
- NHL touts ‘greener rinks’ while promoting powerful pollutants, advocates say. (Washington Post via MSN)
- 32 Thoughts Blog: Where will the reeling Canucks go from here? (SportsNet)