NHL News and Notes from Sunday, November 14th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has fined Pittsburgh Penguins forward Evan Rodrigues.
- Rodrigues was fined $2,500 for a dangerous trip on Ottawa Senators forward Zach Sanford on Saturday night.
- The fine is the maximum allowed per the CBA.
- DoPS also fined Minnesota Wild defenseman Alex Goligoski.
- Goligoski was fined $5,000 for high sticking Seattle Kraken forward Jordan Eberle.
- The fine is the maximum allowed under the CBA.
- The Washington Capitals have re-signed forward Nic Dowd to a three year deal.
- Dowd’s contract will carry an average annual salary of $1.3 million.
- Calgary Flames v. Ottawa Senators – 5p ET
- In Ottawa the Senators and Calgary Flames would do battle of the Tkachuk brothers, and in the first period Andrew Maniapane would strike to give the Flames the 1-0 lead. In the second period Elias Lindholm and Matthew Tkachuk would strike to grow the Flames lead to three. Then in the third period Nikita Zadorov would score for the Flames to take the 4-0 victory.
- Edmonton Oilers v. St. Louis Blues – 7p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would host the Edmonton Oilers, and in the first period Jordan Kyrou would strike on the powerplay to give the Blues the 1-0 lead, but Connor McDavid would score to tie the game at one with 5 seconds left in the period. In the second period Leon Draisaitl would score to give the Oilers the lead, but Robert Bortuzzo would strike to tie the game at two for the Blues. However, before the end of the second Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Ryan McLeod would score to give the Oilers the two goal lead. Then in the third period Ivan Barbashev and Vladimir Tarasenko would score to tie the game at four, but a late tally from Kailer Yamamoto would give the the Oilers the 5-4 victory over the Blues.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In an Original Six battle, the Boston Bruins would play host to the Montreal Canadiens, and in the first period Joel Armia would strike to give the Habs the 1-0 lead. In the second period Charlie McAvoy would score for the Bruins to tie the game at one, but Michael Pezzetta would score to give the Habs the one goal lead back. Then in the third period the Bs would explode for four goals as McAvoy would net his second of the game, Charlie Coyle would net a pair of goals, and Taylor Hall would score to give the Bruins the 5-2 victory over the Canadiens.
- New Jersey Devils v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers would play host to the New Jersey Devils, and in the first period Jesper Bratt would strike for the Devils to take the 1-0 lead. In the second period Adam Fox and Alexis Lafreniere would score for the Rangers to take the one goal lead, but Dougie Hamilton would strike to tie the game at two. Then in the third period Kaapo Kakko would score to give the Rangers the lead, but Pavel Zacha would score to tie the game at three and send the game to overtime. After a scoreless five minutes of extra hockey, it would be Chris Kreider in the shootout to give the Rangers the 4-3 victory over the Devils.
- Scott’s TXHT Recap – Devils Fall in Shootout to Rangers
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- For Hockey Fights Cancer night the Washington Capitals would play host to their arch rival Pittsburgh Penguins, and in the first period Martin Fehervary and Garnet Hathaway would strike for the Caps, but Jake Guentzel would score late in the period as the Caps would take the 2-1 lead into the first intermission. In the second period the Caps would dominate as Daniel Sprong and Conor Sheary would score against their former team to give the Caps the 4-1 lead. Then in the third period Evgeny Kuznetsov and Tom Wilson would score to give the Capitals the dominating 6-1 victory over the Penguins.
- Michael’s TXHT Recap – Caps Dominate the Pen 6-1
- Vancouver Canucks v. Anaheim Ducks – 8p ET
- In Anaheim the Ducks would host the Vancouver Canucks, and in the first period both teams would trade goals as Nils Hoglander would score for the Canucks and Trevor Zegras would strike for the Ducks. In the second period Zegras would strike for his second of the game and Sonny Milano would score to give the Ducks the two goal lead. Then in the third period Adam Henrique and Sam Steel would score to give the Ducks the 5-1 victory over the Canucks.
- NYI v. TB – 7p ET
- DET v. CLB – 7p ET