NHL News and Notes from Monday, October 25th, 2021
- The San Jose Sharks and the Ottawa Senators made a trade.
- The Sharks acquired a 2022 7th Rd Pick
- The Senators acquired forward Dylan Gambrell
- The NHL, NHLPA, and Upper Deck agreed to a new long term agreement for Upper Deck to remain the exclusive trading card provider.
- Kyle Connor of the Winnipeg Jets would earn top honors as the First Star of the Week.
- Connor McDavid (EEDM) and Ilya Sorokin (NYI) would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- TXHT Report – NHL Three Stars of the Week – Flying High
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo the Sabres would play host to the Tampa Bay Lightning, and 1:41 into the game Victor Olofsson would net his third pf the season to give the Sabres the 1-0 lead, but late in the period Alex Killorn would strike for the Lighting to tie the game at one. In the second period Drake Caggiula would score to give the Sabres the one goal lead. Then in the third period Vinnie Hinostroza and Robert Hagg would both score their first goals as members of the Sabres, and Olofsson would net his second of the game to give the Sabres the 5-1 victory over the Lightning.
- Washington Capitals v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa the Senators play host to the Washington Capitals, and in the first period the Sens would strike first with a Drake Batherson goal to take the 1-0 lead. However, it wouldn’t last long as TJ Oshie would net a pair of goals, and goals from Nick Jensen and John Carlson would give the Caps the 4-1 lead. In the second period it would be a wild one as Josh Norris, Chris Tierney (PPG), and Batherson (2nd of the game) would all score to tie the game at four for the Sens, but Alex Ovechkin would power his way to his sixth goal of the season to retake the lead for the Caps, and Oshie would complete the hat trick to give the Caps the 6-4 lead. Then in the third period Batherson would complete the hat trick to bring the Sens back within one, but Ovechkin would score his second of the game to give the Caps the 7-5 victory over the Sens.
- Michael’s TXHT Recap – Talk About a Wild One
- Arizona Coyotes v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida the Arizona Coyotes look to earn their first win of the season against the Panthers. In the first period Clayton Keller would score on the Coyotes lone shot of the period to take the 1-0 lead, but Joe Thornton would net his first as a Panther to tie the game at one. In the second period Frank Vatrano would score his first of the season to give the Panthers the 2-1 lead, and then Aaron Ekblad would strike on the powerplay to grow the Panthers lead to two. Then in the third period Liam O’Brien and Phil Kessel would both net their first goals of the season for the Coyotes, but goals from Jonathan Huberdeau and Anthony Duclair would give the Panthers the 5-3 victory.
- Calgary Flames v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden, the Calgary Flames would visit the New York Rangers, and in the first period the Flames would strike first as Christopher Tanev would score for the 1-0 lead. In the second period Andrew Mangiapane would record his fourth goal of the season to grow the Flames lead to two. Then in the third period the Rangers would get on the board with a Dryden Hunt tally, but goals from Blake Coleman, Mikael Backlund, and Mangiapane (2nd of the game) would give the Flames the 5-1 victory.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would host the Toronto Maple Leafs, and in the first period Auston Matthews would net his first of the season to give the Leafs the 1-0 lead. In the second period the Canes would surge over the Leafs as Sebastian Aho, Steven Lorentz, and Nino Niederreiter would all score to give the Canes the 3-1 lead. Then in the third period Andrei Svechnikov would ice it for the Canes as they would go on to defeat the Leafs 4-1.
- Dallas Stars v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets would host the Dallas Stars, and in the first period Oliver Bjorkstrand would net his third pf the season to give the Jackets the 1-0 lead. In the second period Gregory Hoffman would net his first career NHL goal to give the Jackets the two goal lead. Then in the third period Tyler Seguin would score for the Stars, but goals from Zach Werenski and Alexandre Texier would give the Blue Jackets the 4-1 victory.
- Los Angeles Kings v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would play host to the Los Angeles Kings, and after a scoreless 40 minutes of action it would be Vladimir Tarsenko with a pair of goals to get the Blues on the board, and then David Perron would score to give the Blues the 3-0 victory over the Kings.
- CAL v. NJ – 7p ET
- TB v. PIT – 7p ET
- VGK v. COL – 8p ET
- SJ v. NAS – 830p ET
- MIN v. VAN – 10p ET
- WIN v. ANA – 10p ET
- MON v. SEA – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Chris Johnston does his weekly look Inside the NHL. (Toronto Star – $)
- Former NHLer Colin Wilson opens up about his battle with addiction (Player’s Tribune)
- The Monday edition of the 32 Thoughts Podcast featuring discussion on the Leafs, Blackhawks, and more. (SportsNet)