NHL News and Notes from Sunday, October 24th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety fined Philadelphia Flyers forward Nicolas Aube-Kubel.
- Aube-Kubel was fined $2,687.50 for kneeing Florida Panthers forward Mason Marchment on Saturday night in Philadelphia.
- The fine is a the max allowed under the CBA.
- DoPS also fined Anaheim Ducks forward Ryan Getzlaf.
- Getzlaf was fined $1,000 for doing a dangerous trip on forward Joel Eriksson Ek of the Minnesota Wild on Saturday night.
- San Jose Sharks v. Boston Bruins – 1p ET
- In Boston for an early afternoon matinee the Bruins would host the San Jose Sharks. In the first period Brad Marchand, Derek Forbort, and David Pastrnak would all score to give the Bs a commanding 3-0 lead, but Jasper Weatherby would score to give the Sharks some life. In the second period Jake DeBrusk would score to regain the three goal advantage for the Bruins. Then in the third period Tomas Hertl and Timo Meier would score for the Sharks, but it would not be enough as the Sharks would still fall to the Bruins 4-3.
- Nashville Predators v. Minnesota Wild – 6p ET
- In Minnesota the Nashville Predators would come to town look to tame the Wild. In the first period Roman Josi would strike on the powerplay, and Ryan Johansen would net a pair of goals as the PReds pounced for the three goal lead. In the second period Nick Bjugstad and Nico Sturm would score for the Wild, but Josi’s second of the game and a tally from Tanner Jeannot would keep the Preds ahead by three. The third period would be a scoreless as the Predators defeat the Wild 5-2.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Chicago Blackhawks – 7p ET
- It would be an Original Six battle between the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks in Chicago, and in the first period Lucas Raymond would strike to give the Wings the 1-0 lead, but Tyler Johnson would net his first as a Blackhawk to tie the game at one. In the second period Carter Rowney would score his first as a Red Wing to retake the lead for Detroit, and Vladislav Namestnikov and Tyler Bertuzzi would score to grow the lead to three. Before the end of the second Dominik Kubalik would score for the Blackhawks, but Raymond would net his second to give the Wings the 5-2 lead. Then in the third period Henrik Borgstrom would strike to bring the Blackhawks back within two, but Lucas Raymond would strike once again to complete the hat trick to take the three goal lead back for the Red Wings as they take the 6-3 victory over the Blackhawks.
- New York Islanders v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In The Fortress, the Islanders and Golden Knights face off for the first time this season. In the first period, the Islanders strike first when Josh Bailey nets his first goal of the season at 2:16. After a scoreless second, New York makes it a 2-0 lead when Mathew Barzal scores his third of the season at 7:33 in the third period. The New York Islanders go on to shutout the Vegas Golden Knights by the score of 2-0 in a hard fought defencive contest for the Isles.
- TB v. BUF – 7p ET
- WAS v. OTT – 7p ET – Michael’s TXHT Preview – Heading North
- ARI v. FLA – 7p ET
- CAL v. NYR – 7p ET
- TOR v. CAR – 7p ET
- DAL v. CLB – 7p ET
- LA v. STL – 8p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Russell Hartman looks back at the first two weeks of the New York Rangers season. (TXHT)
- Dickson Kendrick looks back at the disastrous start to Montreal Canadiens season. (TXHT)
- Aryan Weisenfeld reflects on the opening two weeks for the St. Louis Blues. (TXHT)
- Scott Fairchild takes a look at the first two weeks of the Seattle Kraken’s inaugural season. (TXHT)
- Meet the Texas non-profit that’s developing a new game plan for growing hockey along the Mexico-US border. (SportsNet)