NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, October 19th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has suspended St. Louis Blues forward Pavel Buchnevich.
- Buchnevich was suspended for two games for headbutting Arizona Coyotes forward Lawson Crouse on Monday night.
- Buchnevich is considered a repeat offender and per the CBA will forfeit $141,463.42 in salary.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo the Sabres hosted the Vancouver Canucks, and it would be the Canucks striking first as Bo Horvat would score his first of the season. then a few minutes later Kyle Okposo would score to tie the game for the Sabres, but Justin Dowling would score to retake the lead for the Canucks. In the second period Zemgus Girgensons would score to tie the game for the Sabres, and in the third period Jeff Skinner, Tage Thompson, and Rasmus Asplund would score to give the Sabres the 5-2 victory and a 3-0 start to the season.
- San Jose Sharks v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would look to tame the San Jose Sharks, but it would be the Sharks feeding off of the Canadiens. In the first period Jonathan Dahlen would score back to back goals, and Erik Karlsson would net his first of the season to give the Sharks the 3-0 lead. Then in the second period Timo Meier would score on the powerplay and in the third period Kevin Lebanc would also strike on the powerplay to give the Sharks the 5-0 victory.
- Florida Panthers v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In the Battle of Florida, the Tampa Bay Lightning would host the Florida Panthers. After a scoreless first period Brandon Montour would score to give the Panthers the 1-0 lead. Then in the third period Brayden Point would score to tie the game, but goals from Aleksander Barkov, Anton Lundell, and Anthony Duclair would give the Panthers the 4-1 victory over the Lightning.
- Seattle Kraken v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In New Jersey the Seattle Kraken would continue their inaugural road trip as they take on the Devils. In the first period Dawson Mercer and Damon Severson would score minutes apart to give the Devils the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Riley Sheahan would score for the Kraken, but Jimmy Vesey would score to regain the two goal lead for the Devils. In the third period Jared McCann would score on the powerplay for the Kraken, but Pavel Zacha’s late tally would secure the Devils the 4-2 victory.
- Scott’s TXHT Recap – Devils Survive the Kraken
- Dallas Stars v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh Penguins would host the Dallas Stars, and in the first period Michael Raffl would strike for the Stars to take the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period John Marino would score to tie the game at one. After a scoreless third period and extra five minutes of hockey, this game would require the shootout that would see Alexander Radulov score the winner to give the Stars the 2-1 victory and Braden Holtby his first win as a Star.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In Washington the Capitals close out their three game homestand to start the season against the Colorado Avalanche. In the first period Evgeny Kuznetsov would score his first of the season to give the Caps the 1-0 lead, but JT Compher would score shorthanded to tie the game at one. However, Nick Jensen would strike to retake the Caps one goal lead. Then in the second period Darren Helm would score to tie the game at two, but Anthony Mantha would score his 100th career NHL goal and Kuznetsov would net his second of the game would give the Caps the two goal lead. In the third period Mikko Rantanen would score a late powerplay goal for the Avs, but goals from Nic Dowd and Alex Ovechkin would give the Caps the 6-3 victory.
- Michael’s TXHT Recap – The Rise of the Kuznetsov
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Detroit Red Wings – 730p ET
- In Detroit the Red Wings would host the Columbus Blue Jackets, and after 40 minutes of scoreless hockey the flood gates would finally open as Lucas Raymond, Tyler Bertuzzi, Vladislav Namestnikov, and Adam Erne would score for the Wings to take the 4-1 victory. Boone Jenner would score the lone Blue Jackets goal.
- New York Islanders v. Chicago Blackhawks – 8p ET
- In Chicago the Blackhawks would host the New York Islanders, and after a scoreless first period Anthony Beauvillier would score to give the Isles the 1-0 lead. Then in the third period MacKenzie Entwistle would score for the Blackhawks, but a pair of goals from Oliver Wahlstrom and a tally from Cal Clutterbuck would give the Islanders the 4-1 victory.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would take on the Los Angeles Kings, and after a scoreless first period Anze Kopitar would open up the scoring for the Kings. Then in the third period Matt Duchene and Tanner Jeannot would score to give the Predators the 2-1 victory.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In Minnesota the Wild and the Winnipeg Jets would do battle in a crazy game of highs and lows. In the first period Kyle Connor would score a pair of goals for the Jets, but goals from Mats Zuccarello and Joel Eriksson Ek would tie the game at two for the Wild. In the second period Josh Morrissey would score on the powerplay for the Jets and Zuccarello would net his second of the game for the Wild. In the third period Pierre-Luc Dubois and Andrew Copp would score for the Jets, and Marcus Foligno would score oand Eriksson Ek would score his second of the game as this game would go to overtime tied at five. In the extra frame Eriksson Ek would complete the hat trick to give the Wild the 6-5 victory over the Jets.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p ET
- In another crazy high scoring game the Edmonton Oilers would host the Anaheim Ducks. In the first period the Ducks would get goals from Kevin Shattenkirk and Sam Steel while the Oilers would get goals from Zack Kassian, Connor McDavid, and Leon Draisaitl to take a 3-2 lead. In the second period Nicolas Deslauriers would score and Steel would net his second of the game to give the Ducks the 4-3 lead. Then in the third period Shattenkirk would score again for the Ducks, but both Kassian and Draisaitl would net their second goals of the game and a tally from Evan Bouchard would give the Oilers the 6-5 victory over the Ducks.
- BOS v. PHI – 730p ET
- STL v. VGK – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Al Montoya wants you to enjoy hockey. (D Magazine)
- Pierre Lebrun looks at why players and teams are agreeing to more long term deals. (The Athletic – $)
- Michael Walters recaps the Anaheim Ducks overtime win in Calgary on Monday night. (DucksNPucks)
- Central Scouting’s preliminary 2022 NHL Draft list has come out. See who is listed as the top prospects for the Draft. (NHL)
- Kevin Kurz writes about how in the Sharks’ dressing room, Evander Kane is already an afterthought. (The Athletic – $)
- The latest 32 Thoughts blog from Elliotte Friedman has been released. Friedman discusses Evander Kane, Jack Eichel, injuries, and so much more. (SportsNet)
- On Insider Trading the Insiders discuss Evander Kane, Nikita Kucherov, and more. (TSN)