NHL News and Notes from Friday, July 2nd, 2021
- The Los Angeles Kings and Nashville Predators would make a trade.
- The Kings would acquire forward Viktor Arvidsson.
- The Predators would acquire LA’s 2021 2nd Round Pick and 2022 3rd Round Pick.
- Preds GM David Poile noted that Arvidsson was not going to be protected in the Seattle Expansion Draft, and was most likely to be selected by the Kraken.
- Poile noted that this trade addressed the fact that Arvidsson was going to not be on the team next season and gave them something in return for him.
- The Arizona Coyotes announced who their new head coach will be.
- The Coyotes announced Andre Tourigny as their new head coach.
- The Minnesota Wild re-signed Joel Eriksson Ek.
- Eriksson Ek has agreed to an 8 year contract worth $42 million.
- The contract will carry an AAV of $5.25 million per season.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Montreal Canadiens – Game 3 – 8p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would look to bounce back in the Stanley Cup Final in front of their fans, but it would be the Tampa Bay Lightning taking command. In the first period Jan Rutta and Victor Hedman would both score before the game was four minutes old to give the Bolts the 2-0 lead, but Phillip Danault would score for the Habs to bring them back within one. In the second period Nikita Kucherov and Tyler Johnson would score before the period was four minutes in to give the Bolts a three goal lead. Nick Suzuki would score before the period ended to cut the Bolts lead to two. Then in the third period Johnson and Blake Coleman would score to give the Lightning the 6-3 victory (Corey Perry would score for the Canadiens in the third) and the 3-0 series lead as they look to clinch the Stanley Cup on Monday night.
- Michael’s TXHT Recap – Quick Strikes Bring Tampa Within Reach
- TB v. MON – Game 4 – 7/5 – 8p ET