NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, May 19th, 2021
- The NHL has announced that the 2021 NHL Draft Lottery will take place on June 2nd.
- Washington Capitals v. Boston Bruins – Game 3 – 630p ET
- Shipping up to Boston for the next two games both the Bruins and Washington Capitals look to take game three to take the 2-1 series lead, and in the first period we would see six powerplays (3 for each team), but it would still remain scoreless. In the second period while on their fourth powerplay of the game it would be Alex Ovechkin with his first of the playoffs to give the Caps the 1-0 lead, but Taylor Hall would strike less than minute later to tie the game for the B’s. However, late in the second Nic Dowd would score to give the Caps the 2-1 lead. Midway through the third period the B’s would get a powerplay after an ill-advised penalty from Dowd, and Brad Marchand would score to tie the game at two and send the game to overtime. After a scoreless overtime period, double overtime would be needed for Craig Smith to score and give the Bruins the 3-2 victory and the 2-1 series lead over the Capitals.
- Nashville Predators v. Carolina Hurricanes – Game 2 – 8p ET
- Sebastian Aho would net a pair of goals and Warren Foegele would score as the Hurricanes would shutout the Predators 3-0 in a penalty filled game that saw the Preds have seven powerplays. The series is now 2-0 in favor of Carolina.
- Michael’s TXHT Recap – Canes Shutout Preds in Penalty Filled Game 2
- Winnipeg Jets v. Edmonton Oilers – Game 1 – 9p ET
- In Edmonton, both teams look to get the Game One win. In the first period there are no goals scored, however the hits were thrown heavy and quite often. After the first 20, Winnipeg had 31 hits next to the Oilers 19. In the second period, Edmonton gets on the board first when Jesse Puljujarvi scores at 8:24. Winnipeg ties the contest up when Tucker Poolman scores at 11:01. In the third, Winnipeg takes the 2-1 lead when Dominic Toninato scores at 9:14. The Jets then take the 3-1 lead when Kyle Connor scores an empty net goal at 18:13 and then Winnipeg strikes again when Blake Wheeler hits the empty net at 18:45 as the Jets steal Game One and take the 1-0 series lead.
- Dickson’s TXHT Recap – Jets Upset Oilers, Lead Series 1-0
- St. Louis Blues v. Colorado Avalanche – Game 2 – 1030p ET
- In Colorado for game two the Avalanche would look to down the St. Louis Blues for the 2-0 series lead. In the first period Joonas Donskoi would strike 35 seconds into the game to give the Avs the 1-0 lead, and then later in the period while on the powerplay Nathan MacKinnon would strike to grow the Avs lead to two. In the second, Donskoi scores his second to give the Avs the 3-0 lead. St. Louis gets on the board with a Sammy Blais goal to bring the Blues within two. In the third, Brayden Schenn scores as Colorado’s lead shrinks to one. Colorado then makes it a 4-2 game when Nathan MacKinnon scores his second of the night. Mike Hoffman once again brings the Blues to within a goal but Brandon Saad gives the Avs the 5-3 lead. MacKinnon seals the win for the Avalanche and seals the hat trick as the Avs double up the Blues 6-3 and take the 2-0 series lead.
- Russell’s TXHT Recap – MacKinnon and Donskoi Power Avs
- FLA v. TB – Game 3 – 630p ET
- PIT v. NYI – Game 3 – 7p ET
- MON v. TOR – Game 1 – 730p ET
- VGK v. MIN – Game 3 – 930p ET