NHL News and Notes from Sunday, May 16th, 2021
- New York Islanders v. Pittsburgh Penguins – Game 1 – 12p ET
- In Pittsburgh the other East Division series would begin as the division champion Penguins would play host to the New York Islanders. In the first period Kyle Palmieri would open the scoring for the Isles, but Frederick Gaudreau would tie the game at one for the Pens. In the second period Sidney Crosby would do a spectacular one handed deflection to give the Pens the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Brock Nelson would score to give the Isles the 3-2 lead, but Kasperi Kapanen would respond to tie the game at three and send game one to overtime. In the extra frame it would be Palmieri with his second of the game to give the Islanders the 4-3 victory and 1-0 series lead over the Penguins.
- Shaggy’s TXHT Recap – Isles Take Game 1 in OT Thriller
- Minnesota Wild v. Vegas Golden Knights – Game 1 – 3p ET
- In Vegas to kick start the West Division for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Golden Knights would host the Minnesota Wild for game one, and after going scoreless in regulation this game would become the third consecutive game to go to overtime. A first in Stanley Cup Playoffs history. In the extra frame Joel Eriksson Ek would strike 3:20 into overtime to give the Wild the 1-0 victory and series lead over the Knights.
- Scott’s TXHT Recap – Regulation Couldn’t Give Us a Winner, But OT Did
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Florida Panthers – Game 1 – 730p ET
- In the first ever Battle of Florida in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Florida Panthers would host the Tampa Bay Lightning who would see both Steven Stamkos and Nikita Kucherov return to the Tampa Bay lineup. In the first period Blake Coleman would open the scoring for the Bolts, but goals from Aleksander Barkov and Carter Verhaeghe would give the Panthers the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period Kucherov would score twice to put the Bolts in the lead by one. In the third period Jonathan Huberdeau and Owen Tippett would score to regain the lead for the Panthers, but Brayden Point would score a pair of goals to give the Lightning the 5-4 victory and 1-0 series lead.
- Aryan’s TXHT Recap – A Barn Burner in Florida
- BOS v. WAS – Game 2 – 730p ET – Game 2 Preview
- NAS v. CAR – Game 1 – 8p ET – Preview
- STL v. COL – Game 1 – 10p ET – Preview