NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, May 12th, 2021
- The New York Rangers announced that they have fired head coach David Quinn.
- The Rangers also relieved assistant coaches Jacques Martin, David Oliver, and Greg Brown.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Montreal Canadiens – 5p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would host the Edmonton Oilers for an early evening matinee. In the first period Cole Caufield and Nick Suzuki would score for the Habs, but goals from Alex Chiasson and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would tie the game at two for the Oilers. In the second period Leon Draisaitl would score to give the Oilers the 3-2 lead, but in the third period Suzuki would net his second of the game to tie the game at three and send it to overtime. However, in the extra frame Dominik Kahun would score to give the Oilers the 4-3 victory.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Ottawa Senators – 8p ET
- In Ottawa the Senators would take on the Toronto Maple Leafs, and in the first period Nikita Zaitsev would score to give the Sens the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Jake Muzzin and John Tavares would score for the Leafs, but goals from Connor Brown and Parker Kelly would keep the Sens ahead by one. In the third period Auston Matthews would net his 41st of the season to tie the game at three, however, in overtime it would be Josh Norris scoring to give the Senators the 4-3 victory over the Maple Leafs.
- Minnesota Wild v. St. Louis Blues – 9p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues and the Minnesota Wild would do battle, and in the first period Ivan Barbashev and Jaden Schwartz would both score to give the Blues the 2-0 lead. In the second period Torey Krug and David Perron would score to grow the Blues lead to four. St. Louis seals the win the the 4-0 shutout over Minnesota.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. San Jose Sharks – 9p ET
- In San Jose the Vegas Golden Knights look to take home the West Division title as they take on the Sharks. In the first period Alex Pietrangelo and Keegan Kolesar would score to give the Knights the 2-0 lead, and then in the second period William Carrier and Jonathan Marchessault would score to grow the Knights lead to four. In the third, Dylan Sikura scores twice to give the Golden Knights the 6-0 shutout win over the Sharks.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In Colorado the Avalanche would take on the Los Angeles Kings, and in the first period Joonas Donskoi, Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, and JT Compher would score to give the Avs the 3-0 lead. Then in the second period Compher would net two more goals to complete the hat trick and Gabriel Landeskog would score to give the Avs the commanding six goal lead. The Avs go on to shutout the Kings by the score of 6-0.
- MIN v. STL – 8p ET
- VAN v. CAL – 9p ET
- LA v. COL – 9p ET