NHL News and Notes from Monday, May 10th, 2021
- The NHL named Connor McDavid (EDM) the First Star of the Week.
- Aleem Rajani of Alberta Health Services was named the Frontline worker of the Week.
- Kirill Kaprizov (MIN) and Marc-Andre Fleury (VGK) would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – McDavid Scores His Way to Top Honors
- New Jersey Devils v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In Philadelphia for their final game of the season, the Flyers would host the New Jersey Devils. In the first period Pavel Zacha and Janne Kuokkanen would score for the Devils to take a 2-0 lead, but Joel Farabee would score for the Flyers to cut their deficit to one. Then in the third period Sean Couturier would score, and then in the third period James van Riemsdyk and Farabee would score to give the Flyers the 4-2 victory.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens need just one standing point to clinch the final playoff spot in the North Division as they take on the Edmonton Oilers. In the first period Jake Evans would open the scoring for the Habs, but goals from James Neal and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would give the Oilers the 2-1 lead. In the second period both teams would trade tallies as Paul Byron would score for the Habs, and Dominik Kahun for the Oilers to keep Edmonton in the lead. Then in the third period Artturi would score for the Canadiens to tie the game at three and send the game to overtime, but it would be Connor McDavid with his 33rd of the season to give the Oilers the 4-3 victory.
- New York Islanders v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In Boston it would be a battle for third place in the East Division, the Bruins would host the New York Islanders, and in the first period Taylor Hall would score to give the B’s the 1=0 lead. Then in the second period Brad Marchand would score for the Bruins, but goals from Oliver Wahlstrom and Mathew Barzal would tie the game at two for the Isles. Then after a scoreless third period Taylor Hall would net his second of the game to give the Bruins the 3-2 victory and a first round date with the Washington Capitals.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In the final regular season game between the two Florida teams before their first round matchup, the Panthers would host the Tampa Bay Lightning, and in the first period Marcus Weegar would score to give the Panthers the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Juho Lammikko would score, and then third period tallies from Carter Verhaeghe and Alexander Wennberg would give the Panthers the 4-0 victory.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jets would host the Vancouver Canucks, and in the first period Kyle Connor would score for the Jets, but goals from Nils Hoglander and Bo Horvat would give the Canucks the 2-1 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Hoglander would net his second of the game to give the Canucks the 3-1 victory.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would host the Carolina Hurricanes, and in the first period Rocco Grimaldi and Matt Duchene would score for the Preds to take the 2-0 lead. In the second period Duchene would net his second of the game, and Ryan Johansen would score to grow the Preds lead to four. Then in the third period Tanner Jeannot would score to give the Predators the 5-0 shutout victory over the Hurricanes.
- Dallas Stars v. Chicago Blackhawks – 8p ET
- In Chicago the Dallas Stars would come to town to take on the Blackhawks, and in the first period Joe Pavelski would score for the Stars, but goals from Alex DeBrincat and Pius Suter would give the Blackhawks the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period Dylan Strome would score for the Blackhawks, but Miro Heiskanen would score to keep Dallas down one to Chicago. In the third period Vinnie Hinostroza would score for the Blackhawks, but Joel Kiviranta and Jason Dickinson would score to tie the game at four and send the game to overtime which would see Jason Robertson score to give the Stars the 5-4 victory.
- St. Louis Blues v. Los Angeles Kings – 10p ET
- In the City of Angels, the Kings take on the Blues. After a scoreless first and second, the scoring opens up in the third when St. Louis gets on the board with a goal by Tyler Bozak, his fifth. The Kings tie up the contest when Alex Iafallo scores his 13th on the season. In Overtime, Justin Faulk scores 46 seconds in to give the Blues the 2-1 win over the Kings.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas, the Golden Knights look to clinch the President’s Trophy and home-ice advantage throughout the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs with a win over the Avalanche. In the first, Vegas takes the 1-0 lead when Alex Pietrangelo nets his sixth on the season. In the second, Andre Burakovsky nets his 18th for the Avs to tie the game 1-1. In the third, Colorado takes the 2-1 lead when J.T. Compher nets his seventh. The Avs go on to beat the Golden Knights by that 2-1 score.
- BOS v. WAS – 7p ET
- VAN v. WIN – 8p ET