NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, May 5th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has announced that they have suspended Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere.
- Gostisbehere was suspended for two games for boarding Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Mark Freidman on Tuesday night.
- Gostisbehere will forfeit $77,586.20 in salary per the terms of the CBA.
- The New York Rangers announced that they have fired John Davidson as President and Jeff Gorton as General Manager.
- Chris Drury was named new President and General Manager for the Rangers.
- Dallas Stars v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa Bay the Dallas Stars would come to town to take on the Lightning, and in the first period Tyler Seguin would score for the Stars and Tyler Johnson for the Bolts for a 1-1 tie. In the second period Alex Killorn and Brayden Point would both score to give the Bolts the 3-1 lead. Then in the third period Andrej Sekera would score for the Stars, but goals from Erik Cernak, Ross Colton, and Mikhail Sergachev would give the Lightning the 6-2 victory.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa the Montreal Canadiens and the Senators would do battle. In the first period Shane Pinto would score his first career NHL goal for the Sens to take the lead, but Joel Edmundson would strike to tie the game for the Habs. Then in the second period Brady Tkachuk and Nick Paul would strike to give the Sens the two goal lead. In the third period Connor Brown and Alex Formenton would strike to give the Senators the 5-1 victory over the Canadiens.
- Washington Capitals v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- In a game that saw 100 penalty minutes in the first period alone, it would be truly about TJ Oshie in this final matchup between the Washington Capitals and New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden. After a scoreless first period Oshie would net back to back powerplay goals, and Nic Dowd would deflect one in to give the Caps the 3-0 lead. Then in the third period Alexis Lafreniere and Morgan Barron would score for the Rangers, but Oshie’s empty netter to complete the hat trick would give the Capitals the 4-2 victory.
- Michael’s TXHT Recap – Oshie’s Hat Trick the Perfect Tribute
- Nashville Predators v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets and Nashville Predators would do battle, and in the first period Tanner Jeannot would strike for the Preds to take the 1-0 lead. In the second period Calle Jarnkrok would score for the Preds, but goals from Jack Roslovic and Oliver Bjorkstrand would tie the game at two for the Jackets. In the third period Mikhail Grigorenko and Bjorkstrand would score to give the Blue Jackets the 4-2 victory over the Predators.
- Anaheim Ducks v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would host the Anaheim Ducks, and in the first period Mike Hoffman would strike to give the Blues the 1-0 lead. In the second period Max Jones would score to tie the game for the Ducks. then in the third period Hayden Fleury would score for the Ducks, but Kyle Clifford would score to tie the game at two and send the game to overtime. After the extra five minutes it would be Troy Terry in the shootout to give the Ducks the 3-2 victory over the Blues.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In Minnesota the Vegas Golden Knights would look to tame the Wild, and after a scoreless first period Chandler Stephenson would strike first for the Knights to take the 1-0 lead. Then in the third period Reilly Smith would score for the Knights, but a pair of goals from Kirill Kaprizov would tie the game at two and send the game to overtime. In the extra frame Alex Pietrangelo would strike to give the Golden Knights the 3-2 victory.
- Colorado Avalanche v. San Jose Sharks – 9:30p ET
- In San Jose, the Sharks look to stop the Avs and in the first no goals are scored. Colorado gets on the board in the second when Tyson Jost and Andre Burakovsky score to take the 2-0 lead. San Jose responds when Tomas Hertl scores to cut the Avs lead in half. In the third, Hertl nets his second goal of the game and the Sharks get the game winner when Erik Karlsson scores as San Jose gets the 3-2 win over Colorado.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Calgary Flames – 9:30p ET
- In the Saddledome, the Jets can clinch a berth in the 2021 Stanley Cup playoffs with a win over the Flames. In the first, Winnipeg gets on the board when Adam Lowry scores. In the second, Lowry gets his second of the game and Blake Wheeler scores to give the Jets the 3-0 lead. In the third, Wheeler notches his second of the night as the Jets go on to shutout the Flames 4-0.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Arizona Coyotes – 10p ET
- In Arizona, the Coyotes look to stay alive in the race for the postseason with a win over the Kings. In the first, Arizona gets on the board when Oliver Ekman-Larsson scores. The Kings respond when Gabriel Vilardi and Jaret Anderson-Dolan score to give Los Angeles the 2-1 lead. Arizona ties the game up when Jakob Chychrun scores. After a scoreless second, Vilardi and Sean Walker score to give the Kings the 4-2 win.
- CHI v. CAR – 7p ET
- NYR v. BOS – 7p ET
- NJ v. NYI – 7p ET
- BUF v. PIT – 7p ET
- MON v. TOR – 7p ET
- VAN v. EDM – 9p ET