NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, May 4th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that they fined Washington Capitals forward Tom Wilson.
- Wilson was fined $5000 for Roughing forward Pavel Buchnevich on Monday night.
- Wilson’s fine is the maximum allowed under the CBA.
- New York Islanders v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo the Sabres would play host to the New York Islanders, and in the first period both teams would trade goals as Cody Eakin and Anthony Beauviller would score for the Sabres and Isles respectively. In the second period Ryan Pulock and Call Clutterbucks would score for the Isles to take a two goal lead, but Anders Bjork would score to bring the Sabres back within one. Then in the third period Bjork would net his second of the game to tie the game at three and send the game to overtime. After a scoreless five minutes this game would go to the shootout as Bjork would net the lone goal to give the Sabres the 4-3 victory over the Islanders.
- Boston Bruins v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In New Jersey the Devils would take on the Boston Bruins for the second straight day, and in the first period Pavel Zacha would strike on the powerplay for the Devils to take the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Patrice Bergeon and Taylor Hall would strike to give the B’s the 2-1 lead. However, in the third period Jesper Boqvist would strike to tie the game at two for the Devils, but moments later Sean Kuraly would score to give the Bruins the 3-2 lead. However, that lead wouldn’t last Yegor Sharangovich would strike to tie the game at three to send the game to overtime. In the extra frame Zacha would score his second of the game to give the Devils the 4-3 victory over the Bruins.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In the final Battle of Pennsylvania the Philadelphia Flyers would host the Pittsburgh Penguins, and in the first period Marcus Pettersson would score to give the Pens the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Justin Braun and Sean Couturier would score for the Flyers, but goals from Jake Guentzel and Sidney Crosby would keep the Pens with the one goal lead. In the htird period Travis Konecny would strike for the Flyers, but goals from Jason Zucker, Crosby, Mark Friedman, and John Marion would give the Penguins the 7-3 victory.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Chicago Blackhawks would take on the Hurricanes, and in the first period the Blackhawks would get goals from Alex DeBrincat and Mike Hardman to take a 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Nino Niederreiter and Andrei Svechnikov would score to tie the game at two for the Canes. In the third period DeBrincat would net his second of the game for the Blackhawks, but goals from Svechnikov, Martin Necas, Teuvo Teravainen, and Niederreiter would give the Hurricanes the 6-3 victory.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver, the Canucks look to strike Oil with a win over Edmonton. In the first, Vancouver takes the early 1-0 lead when Brock Boeser scores his 19th goal of the season 34 seconds into the contest. In the second, Edmonton ties it up when Leon Draisaitl notches his 25th goal and Draisaitl gives the Oilers the 2-1 lead with his second in the game. The Oilers take the 3-1 lead with Evan Bouchard’s second of the season. In the third, Edmonton seals the victory when Darnell Nurse scores his 16th as the Oilers get the 4-1 over the Canucks.
- DAL v. TB – 7p ET
- MON v. OTT – 7p ET
- WAS v. NYR – 7p ET
- NAS v. CLB – 7p ET
- ANA v. STL – 8p ET
- VGK v. MIN – 8p ET
- COL v. SJ – 9:30p ET
- WIN v. CAL – 9:30p ET
- LA v. ARI – 10p ET