NHL News and Notes from Saturday, April 17th, 2021
- New Jersey Devils v. New York Rangers – 12:30p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers would host the New Jersey Devils and in the first period Pavel Buchnevich would net a pair and Ryan Strome would strike to give the Rangers the 3-0 lead. Then in the second period Artemi Panarin would grow the lead to four, but Michael McLeod would strike for the Devils to bring their deficit back to three. In the third period PK Subban and Yegor Sharangovich would score to bring the Devils within one, but Buchnevich’s third pf the game and a tally from Chris Kreider would give the Rangers the 6-3 victory.
- Washington Capitals v. Philadelphia Flyers – 12:30p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would host the Washington Capitals, and in the first period Alex Ovechkin would open the scoring while on the powerplay, but Ivan Provorov would strike with one second left in the period to tie the game at one. In the second period James van Riemsdyk would score for the Flyers, but goals from Dmitry Orlov, Evgeny Kuznetsov, and the second of the game from Ovechkin would give the Caps the 4-2 lead. Then in the third period Wade Allison would score his first career goals for the Flyers, but goals from Conor Sheary and Anthony Mantha would give the Capitals the 6-3 victory.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Buffalo Sabres – 3p ET
- In Buffalo for a joint Pride Day game with Pittsburgh, the Sabres and Penguins would do battle. In the first period Jared McCann would strike first for the Pens to take the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Tage Thompson would score for the Sabres, but goals from Evan Rodrigues and Bryan Rust would give the Pens the 3-1 lead. In the third period Casey Mittelstadt would score for the Sabres, but the Penguins would hold on for the 3-2 victory.
- Ottawa Senators v. Montreal Canadiens – 4p ET
- In Montreal the Ottawa Senators would come to town to take on the Canadiens. In the first period Artem Zub would score, and then in the second period Drake Batherson would strike to give the Sens the 2-0 lead. Then in the third period Batherson would strike for his second of the game, and Nikita Zaitsev would score to give the Seantors the 4-0 victory over the Canadiens.
- St. Louis Blues v. Arizona Coyotes – 6p ET
- In Arizona the Coyotes would host the Blues, and in the first period Sammy Blais and Tyler Bozak would score to give the Blues the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Alex Goligoski and Clayton Keller would score to tie the game at two for the Coyotes. In the third period Michael Bunting would score to give the Coyotes the 3-2 victory.
- Nashville Predators v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes and Nashville Predators would do battle for the second time in three days. In the first period Jaccob Slavin would strike for the Canes to take the 1-0 lead, but then in the second period Roman Josi would strike to give tie the game at one for the Preds. Then in the third period Jani Hakanpaa and Andrei Svechnikov would score to give the Hurricanes the 3-1 victory.
- Florida Panthers v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa Bay the Lightning would do battle with the Florida Panthers, and in the first period Brayden Point would score for the Bolts, but goals from Brandon Montour, Aleksander Barkov, and Jonathan Huberdeau would give the Panthers the 3-1 lead. In the second period Frank Vatrano would score to grow the Panthers lead to three, but Erik Cernak would strike to cut the Bolts deficit back to two. Then in the third period Mathieu Joseph would score to bring the Lightning back within one, however, Anthony Duclair would score to give the Panthers the 5-3 victory.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Winnipeg Jets – 7p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jets would take on the Edmonton Oilers, and after a scoreless first period Tyson Barrie would strike to give the Oilers the 1-0 lead. In the second period Jesse Puljujarvi would net his tenth of the season, and Alex Chiasson would score to give the Oilers the 3-0 victory.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Detroit Red Wings – 7p ET
- In a battle of Original 6 teams, the Chicago Blackhawks would visit the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period Patrick Kane would strike to give Chicago the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Alex DeBrincat would grow the Blackhawks lead to two. In the third period Wyatt Kalynuk and Pius Suter would score to give the Blackhawks the 4-0 victory over the Red Wings.
- San Jose Sharks v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In Minnesota, the Sharks look to knock off the Wild. In the first, San Jose takes the 1-0 when Brent Burns nets his sixth goal on the year. Minnesota then responds when they net three goals when Mats Zuccarello scores his 10th, Joel Eriksson Ek scores his 14th, and Zach Parise scores his seventh. In the second, Kirill Kaprizov nets his 17th on the year, and Nico Sturm scores his sixth as the Wild take the 5-1 lead. In the third, the Sharks come within three when Joel Kellman nets his first of the year but Minnesota gets the 5-2 win over the Sharks.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Dallas Stars – 8p ET
- In Dallas, Columbus looks to down the Stars. In the first, Vladislav Gavrikov nets his second on the season as the Blue Jackets take the 1-0 lead. Dallas ties the game when Jamie Benn nets his ninth of the season. In the second, Denis Gurianov nets his ninth, Joe Pavelski nets his 18th, John Klingberg nets his seventh, and Esa Lindell nets his fifth as the Stars take the 5-1 lead. With a scoreless third, the Stars go ahead and take the 5-1 win over Columbus.
- WAS v. BOS – 12p ET
- NYR v. NJ – 3p ET
- PIT v. BUF – 3p ET
- VGK v. ANA – 4p ET
- NYI v. PHI – 6:30p ET
- LA v. COL – 9p ET