NHL News and Notes from Thursday, April 8th, 2021
- the Florida Panthers and Chicago Blackhawks made a trade.
- The Panthers acquired defenseman Lucas Carlsson and forward Lucas Wallmark.
- The Blackhawks acquired forward Brett Connolly and defenseman Riley Stillman.
- The Blackhwaks also acquired the rights to forward Henrik Borgstrom and a 2021 7th Round Draft Pick.
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has suspended defenseman Jacob MacDonald of the Colorado Avalanche.
- MacDonald was suspended for two games for doing an illegal check to the head of Minnesota Wild forward Ryan Hartman on Wednesday night.
- MacDonald will forfeit $12,500 in salary per the CBA.
- New Jersey Devils v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo the Sabres and New Jersey Devils would do battle, and in the first period Victor Olofsson would strike 53 seconds into the game for the Sabres, but a pair of goals from Pavel Zacha and a tally from Jack Hughes would give the Devils the 3-1 lead. then in the second period Tage Thompson and Jeff Skinner would score to tie the game at three for the Sabres. In the third period Jesper Boqvist would strike for his first of the season, and Yegor Sharangovich and Janne Kuokkanen would score to give the Devils the 6-3 victory.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. New York Islanders – 7p ET
- In Long Island the New York Islanders would host the Philadelphia Flyers, and in the first period Brock Nelson and Jordan Eberle would strike to give the Isles the 2-0 lead, but Nicolas Aube-Kubel would get the Flyers back within one. Then in the second period Jakub Voracek would strike to tie the game at two to send the game to overtime. After a scoreless third period and overtime frame it would be Nelson with the winner in the fifth round of the shootout to give the Islanders the 3-2 victory over the Flyers.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers and Pittsburgh Penguins would do battle. In the first period Radim Zohorna would give the Pens the 1-0 lead, and in the second period Colin Blackwell would strike for the Rangers, but goals from Kris Letang and Evan Rodrigues would give the Pens the two goal lead. Then in the third period Kevin Rooney would score for the Rangers, but goals from Jason Zucker and Mark Jankowski would give the Penguins the 5-2 victory.
- Boston Bruins v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In the Nation’s Capital the Washington Capitals would host the Boston Bruins, and in the first period Jeremy Lauzon and Anton Blidh would score to give teh B’s the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Brad Marchand would net a shorthanded tally to grow the B’s lead to three, but the Caps would strike with back to back powerplay tallies from Alex Ovechkin and TJ Oshie to bring them back within one. In the third period Craig Smith would score on the powerplay to give the Bruins the 4-2 victory.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Canada’a Nation’s Capital the Ottawa Senators would host the Edmonton Oilers, and after a scoreless first period Connor Brown (OTT) and Kailer Yamamoto (EDM) would score for their respective teams. Then in the third period Devin Shore and Jesse Puljujarvi would score to give the Oilers the 3-1 victory.
- Florida Panthers v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Florida Panthers would come to town to face the Hurricanes. The Canes would get a goal a period from Sebastian Aho, Vincent Trocheck, and Martin Necas to give Carolina the 3-0 victory.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets would host the Tampa Bay Lightning, and despite a Michael Del Zotto goal for the Jackets, Blake Coleman, Steven Stamkos, Barclay Goodrow, and Ryan McDonagh would strike togive teh Bolts a 4-1 lead. In the second period Jack Roslovic would score for the Jackets, but a tally from Ross Colton and McDonagh’s second of the game would give the Bolts four goal lead. In the third period Zach Werenski and Max Domi would score for Columbus, but it would not be enough as the Lightning would hold on to win 6-4.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would host the Winnipeg Jets, and despite a goal for the Habs from Phillip Danault, the Jets would get goals from Josh Morrissey, Trevor Lewis, and Nikolaj Ehlers to take a 3-1 lead. In the second period Paul Byron would score for the Habs, but Andrew Copp would score to give the Jets the 4-2 victory.
- Nashville Predators v. Detroit Red Wings – 7:30p ET
- In Detroit the Nashville Predators would come to town to take on the Red Wings. After a scoreless first period Darren Helm would strike for the Wings, but Viktor Arvidsson, Erik Haula, and Nick Cousins to give the Preds the 3-1 lead. Then in the third period Arvidsson would complete the hat trick with two tallies, and Mikael Granlund and Yakov Trenin would both score to give the Predators the 7-1 victory.
- Dallas Stars v. Chicago Blackhawks – 8p ET
- The Dallas Stars would come to Chicago to take on the Blackhawks, and in the first period both teams would trade tallies as Roope Hintz and Dominik Kubalik would score for their respective teams. Then in the second period Jason Robertson, Miro Heiskanen, and Blake Comeau would score to give the Stars the three goal lead. In the third period Comeau would net his second of the game to give the Stars the 5-1 victory.
- WAS v. BUF – 7p ET
- PIT v. NJ – 7p ET
- NYR v. NYI – 7p ET
- EDM v. OTT – 7p ET
- MIN v. STL – 8p ET
- ARI v. VGK – 10p ET
- COL v. ANA – 10p ET
- LA v. SJ – 10:30p ET