NHL News and Notes from Monday, April 5th, 2021
- The NHL would announce forward Mathew Barzal of the New York Islanders as First Star of the Week.
- Martin Jones (SJ) and Brad Marchand (BOS) would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- Kelly McLaughlin of Northwell Health would be named Frontline Worker of the Week.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Barzal Dazzles for Top Honors
- Ottawa Senators v. Winnipeg Jets – 7p ET
- In Winnipeg the Ottawa Senators would take on the Jets. In the first period Pierre-Luc Dubois would score to give the Jets the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Ryan Dzingel would strike for the Sens, but the Jets would fly high as they would get goals from Adam Lowry, Dubois, and Kyle Connor to take a commanding 4-1 lead. In the third period Josh Norris and Connor Brown would score for the Senators, but the Jets would hold on for the 4-3 victory.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In Boston the Bruins would host the Philadelphia Flyers, and in the first period both teams would trade tallies as Travis Konecny would strike for the Flyers, and Karson Kuhlman for the B’s. Then in the second period Patrice Bergeron would strike on the powerplay to give Boston the 2-1 lead. In the third period Sean Couturier would strike to tie the game at two and send the game to overtime for the Flyers, Then in the extra frame Travis Sanheim would score to give the Flyers the 3-2 victory.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- The Edmonton Oilers would head to Montreal to face the Canadiens, and in the first period Devin Shore would score to give the Oilers the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Darnell Nurse would strike to grow the Oilers lead to two. In the third period Josh Anderson and Tomas Tatar would score to tie the game at two for the Habs, and then in overtime Eric Staal would score his first as a Canadien to give them the 3-2 comeback victory.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- Alex Pietrangelo would return to St. Louis for the first time since joining the Vegas Golden Knights as they face the Blues. In the first period Tyler Bozak would strike for the Blues, but tallies from Tomas Nosek and Alec Martinez would give the Knights the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period Martinez would net his second of the game, and goals from William Carrier, Jonathan Marchessault, and Nicolas Hauge would give the Knights the 6-1 lead and win.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In Minnesota the Wild would host the Colorado Avalanche, and in the first period Ryan Hartman would score to give the Wild the 1-0 lead. In the second period the Avs would unleash a wave of goals on the Wild as Nathan MacKinnon, Andre Burakovsky, Brandon Saad, and JT Compher would score to give the Avs the 4-1 lead. In the third, Minnesota comes within two when Nick Bjugstad nets his sixth of the season. Colorado makes it a 5-2 lead when Gabriel Landeskog nets his 15th of the season. Minnesota scores two goals with Marcus Johansson and Kevin Fiala lighting the lamp but the comeback falls shirt as Colorado squeaks by Minnesota with the 5-4 victory.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Calgary Flames – 9:30p ET
- In the Saddledome the Maple Leafs look to douse the Flames. After a scoreless first, Toronto gets a pair of goals when Jason Spezza and Auston Matthews light the lamp to take the 2-0 lead. Calgary gets on the board when Andrew Mangiapane nets his 12th of the season. In the third, Calgary ties the contest when Mikael Backlund nets his seventh of the year. Toronto makes it a 3-2 lead with a Wayne Simmonds goal, his sixth on the season. Calgary ties the game again with Backlund’s second of the night. Toronto then gets two goals with Matthews getting his second on the night and John Tavares netting his 12th on the season to take the 5-3 lead and victory.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Los Angeles Kings – 10p ET
- In Los Angeles, the Coyotes look to knock off the Kings and in the first period Arizona gets three goals when Michael Bunting nets two goals and Derick Brassard score to take the 3-0 lead. Los Angeles gets on the board when Drew Doughty nets his eighth of the season. In the second, Bunting completes the hat trick to give Arizona the 4-1 lead. In the third, Los Angeles comes within two when Andreas Athanasiou nets his eighth goal of the season and the Coyotes respond late when Christian Dvorak gets his 12th goal of the season as the Coyotes get the 5-2 win over the Kings.
- BUF v. NJ – 7p ET
- WAS v. NYI – 7p ET
- PIT v. NYR – 7p ET
- BOS v. PHI – 7p ET
- FLA v. CAR – 7p ET
- TB v. CLB – 7p ET
- NAS v. DET – 7:30p ET
- DAL v. CHI – 8p ET
- ANA v. SJ – 10:30p ET
- VAN v. WIN – Postponed