NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, March 31st, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has fined Edmonton Oilers forward Connor McDavid.
- McDavid was fined $5000, max allowed under the CBA, for elbowing forward Jesperi Kotkaniemi on Tuesday night.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Winnipeg Jets – 7:30p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jets would play host to the Toronto Maple Leafs, and in the first period Auston Matthews and Zach Hyman would score to give the Leafs the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Josh Morrissey would score for the Jets, but Alexander Kerfoot would score to keep the Leafs in the lead by two, and take the 3-1 victory.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Buffalo Sabres – 7:30p ET
- In Buffalo the Sabres aim to end their 18 game losing streak against the Philadelphia Flyers. In the first period Sam Reinhart and Curtis Lazar would strike for the Sabres to take a 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Ivan Provorov would score for the Flyers, but goals from Steven Fogarty and Casey Mittlestadt would give the Sabres the three goal lead. In the third period Brandon Montour would net a pair of shorthanded goals to secure the Sabres the 6-1 victory and ending their painful losing streak.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Colorado Avalanche – 9:30p ET
- In Colorado the Avalanche would host the Arizona Coyotes. In the first period the Avs would pour the goals on the Yotes as Joonas Donskoi would net a hat trick, plus goals from Andre Burakovsky and Pierre-Edouard Bellemare to take the 5-2 lead. Michael Bunting would score for the Coyotes in the first. In the second, Arizona would come within two when Conor Garland scores but Gabriel Landeskog makes it a 6-3 Colorado lead. In the third Mikko Rantanen, Burakovsky and Landeskog all score as the Avs go on to crush the Coyotes with a 9-3 win.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas the Kings look to knock off the Golden Knights and in the first period, the Kings score twice when Andreas Athanasiou and Lias Anderson score. In the second, Vegas gets on the board when William Karlsson nets his ninth goal on the season. The Kings respond when Jaret Anderson-Dolan and Alex Iafallo score to take the 4-1 lead. In the third, Shea Theodore scores to bring Vegas within two but the Kings get the 4-2 win over the Golden Knights.
- Calgary Flames v. Vancouver Canucks – 1030p ET
- Minnesota Wild v. San Jose Sharks – 10:30p ET
- In San Jose, the Sharks look to take a bite out of the Wild and after a scoreless first period, San Jose scores twice in the second when Rudolfs Balcers and Ryan Donato score to give the Sharks the 2-0 lead. In the third, Minnesota gets on the board when Kiril Kaprizov scores his 12th goal on the season. San Jose takes the 3-1 lead when Nikolai Knyzhov gets his first NHL goal. With 13 seconds left, Minnesota’s Kevin Fiala scores his 11th goal as the Wild come within a goal. San Jose goes on to get the 4-2 win over the Wild when Evander Kane nets his 15th goal on the season with one second left in the contest.
- PIT v. BOS – 7p ET
- NYR v. BUF – 7p ET
- WAS v. NYI – 7p ET
- CLB v. TB – 7p ET
- DET v. FLA – 7p ET
- MON v. OTT – 7p ET
- CAR v. CHI – 8p ET
- DAL v. NAS – 8p ET
- MIN v. VGK – 10:30p ET