NHL News and Notes from Thursday, March 25th, 2021
- New York Islanders v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In Boston the New York Islanders would come to town to face the Bruins, and in the first period Karson Kuhlman and Steven Kampfer would both score their first of the season to give the B’s the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Jean-Gabriel Pageau would strike for the Isles to reduce their deficit to one. In the third period Josh Bailey would score for the Islanders to tie the game at two, and then Oliver Wahlstrom would strike for the Isles and Anders Bjork would score for the B’s to send the game to overtime tied at three. Then in overtime Anthony Beauvillier would strike to give the Islanders the 4-3 victory.
- New York Rangers v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would play host to the New York Rangers, and in the first period Ryan Strome, Pavel Buchnevich, and Mika Zibanejad would score to give the Rangers the 3-0 lead. Then in the second period Zibanejad would net two more goals in the first two minutes of the period to complete the natural hat trick, and K’Andre Miller would score to grow the Rangers lead to six, but before the period would end Claude Giroux and Kevin Hayes would both score to cut the Rangers lead to four. Then in the third period Buchnevich would net his second of the game to gain the five goal lead back, but Sean Couturier’s tally would bring the Flyer’s deficit back to four. However, Alexis Lafreniere would score to give the Rangers the 8-3 victory.
- New Jersey Devils v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- The New Jersey Devils would come to Washington to face the Capitals in a back to back, and in the first period both teams would trade tallies as Nicholas Merkley and Dmitry Orlov would score to keep the game tied. Then in the second period Miles Wood would strike for the Devils, but goals from Alex Ovechkin and Evgeny Kuznetsov would give the Caps the 3-2 lead. In the third period Jesper Bratt would score to tie the game, but Kuznetsov’s second of the game would give the Capitals the 4-3 victory.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Carolina Hurricanes would do battle with the Columbus Blue Jackets once again, and after a scoreless first period Zach Werenski would score for the Jackets, but tallies from Cedric Paquette and Martin Necas would give the Canes the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Nino Niederreiter would score for the Canes, but goals from Cam Atkinson and Oliver Bjorkstrand would tie the game at three and send the game to overtime. In the extra frame it would be Sebastian Aho with the game winner as the Hurricanes would topple the Blue Jackets 4-3.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa the Toronto Maple Leafs would take on the Senators, and in the first period Connor Brown would strike to give the Sens the 1-0 lead. Theni n the second period Ilya Mikheyev would score to tie the game at one. In the third period Jason Spezza would score for the Leafs, but Alex Formenton would score fo rthe Sens to tie the game at two. In overtime Justin Holl would score to give the Maple Leafs the 3-2 victory.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh things would still not go right for the Buffalo Sabres as they faced the Penguins. The Pens would get a first period tally from Radim Zohorna, a second period marker from Jared McCann, and then in the third period McCann would net his second of the game and Jake Guentzel would score to give the Penguins the 4-0 victory.
- St. Louis Blues v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In St. Paul, the Wild look to bring the Blues back to St. Louis. In the first period, no goals are scored. In the second, Minnesota gets a pair of goals when Marcus Johansson gets his third goal of the year and Kirill Kaprizov gets his 11th goal. After a scoreless third, the Wild get the 2-0 win over the Blues.
- Florida Panthers v. Chicago Blackhawks – 8p ET
- In the Windy City, the Blackhawks look to get back on the winning track. After a scoreless first period, Chicago gets a pair of goals when Patrick Kane and Pius Suter score. In the third, Brandon Hagel scores and Chicago goes on to get the 3-0 shutout win over Florida.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In the Music City, Detroit looks to down the Predators. In the first period, Nashville goes on to score four goals, three coming from Rocco Grimaldi and the fourth coming from Eeli Tolvanen. Detroit gets on the board when Bobby Ryan gets a PPG late in the period. In the second, Mikael Granlund scores to extend the Predators lead by four. In the third, Mathieu Oliver and Grimaldi, with his fourth on the night, score as the Preds breeze by the Red Wings with a 7-1 win.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Dallas Stars – 8:30p ET
- In Dallas, the Stars look to get back on the winning track against the Lightning. In the first, no goals are scored between the two. In the second, Tampa Bay gets a pair of goals with Yanni Gourde and Alex Killorn scoring. Dallas responds when they score three unanswered goals when Miro Heiskanen, Joe Pavelski, and Jason Robertson score. In the second, Tampa ties the game when Ondrej Palat nets his 12th goal of the year. At 18:39, Dallas re-takes the lead when Roope Hintz nets his 10th goal of the season.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In Denver, the Avs and Golden Knights do battle with Colorado only two points behind Vegas for the top spot in the Central Division. In the first period, Vegas strikes first when Max Pacioretty gets his 17th goal of the season just 40 seconds in. In the second, Colorado gets four goals when Joonas Donskoi, J.T. Compher, Cale Makar, and Gabriel Landeskog all score to give the Avs the 4-1 lead. In the third, Pierre-Edouard Bellemare nets his fourth goal of the season to extend the Avs lead by four.
- NJ v. WAS – 7p ET
- ANA v. STL – 8p ET
- SJ v. ARI – 10p ET
- WIN v. CAL – 10p ET
- EDM v. MTL – Postponed