NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, March 23rd, 2021
- The NHL announced that they have fined forward Kurtis Gabriel, head coach Bob Boughner, and the San Jose Sharks due to altercation prior to Monday night’s game.
- Gabriel was fined $3,017.24, max allowed under the CBA.
- Boughner was fined $5000.
- The Sharks were fined a conditional fine of $25,000 which will be collected in the event that any similar inappropriate behavior is to take place between now and March 22nd, 2022.
- New Jersey Devils v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would take on the New Jersey Devils, and in the first period Joel Farabee would strike for the Flyers, but goals from Michael McLeod and Kyle Palmieri would give the Devils the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period Yegor Sharangovich and Travis Zajac would score to grow the Devils lead to three. In the third period the Flyers would get a pair of goals from Sean Couturier, but it would not be enough as the Devils would hold on to win 4-3.
- New York Islanders v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- Florida Panthers v. Chicago Blackhawks – 8p ET
- In Chicago the Florida Panthers would come to town to take on the Blackhawks, and in the first period Dominik Kubalik and Pius Suter would score for the Blackhawks to take the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Carl Soderberg would strike on the powerplay to grow Chicago’s lead to three, however, before the end of the period Anton Stralman would score for the Panthers to bring the Blackhawks lead back down to two. In the third, Florida comes with a goal when Alex Wennberg nets his seventh goal, a PPG, but the Blackhawks get the 3-2 win over the Panthers.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would host the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period Mikael Granlund would score on the powerplay to give the Preds the 1-0 lead. In the second period Mathieu Oliver would score his second of the season to grow the Preds lead to two. The Predators go on to shutout the Red Wings with the 2-0 victory.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Dallas Stars – 8:30p ET
- In Dallas the Stars would play host to the Tampa Bay Lightning, and in the first period Roope Hintz would strike to give Dallas the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Steven Stamkos would strike to give tie the game at one. Yanni Gourde nets his 12th goal of the season to give the Bolts the 2-1 lead and win over Dallas.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Arizona Coyotes – 10p ET
- In the sixth match-up on the season, the Coyotes look to down the Avalanche. In the first, Arizona gets a pair of goals when Jakob Chychrun and Alex Goligoksi score. Colorado gets on the board with a Gabriel Landeskog goal, his 10th on the season. Mikko Rantanen scores his 19th goal to tie the game for Colorado. In the second, Nathan MacKinnon gets his 10th goal of the season to give the Avs the 3-2 lead. In the third, Colorado gets the two goal lead when Valeri Nichushkin gets his seventh goal of the season. Arizona comes within a goal when Lawson Crouse gets his second goal of the season. Phil Kessel ties the game for the Coyotes with his 10th goal of the season. Arizona goes on to get the 5-4 win in the shootout over the Avs.
- CAL v. OTT – 5p ET
- ANA v. MIN – 5:30p ET
- EDM v. MON – Postponed
- BUF v. PIT – 8p ET
- WIN v. VAN – 10:30p ET
- LA v. SJ – 10:30p ET