NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, March 10th, 2021
- The NHL announced that they have signed a 7 year deal with ESPN and the Walt Disney Company to become one of two broadcast partners for the NHL.
- The NHL Department of Player Safety suspended Nashville Predators defenseman Dante Fabbro two games for elbowing forward Brock McGinn of the Carolina Hurricanes on Tuesday night.
- Fabbro will forfeit $15,948.28 in salary under the terms of the CBA.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Minnesota Wild – 7p ET
- In Minnesota the Wild would play host to the Vegas Golden Knights, and in the first period both teams would trade tallies as Dylan Coghlan would net his first career NHL goal for the Knights, and Joel Eriksson Ek would score for the Wild. Then after a scoreless second period the Wild would get goals from Kirill Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek (second of the game), and Colton Soucy to take a commanding 4-1 lead, but the Knights would try to make the comeback as Coghlan would net two more goals to complete the hat trick. However, the Wild would hold on for the 4-3 victory.
- Ottawa Senators v. Edmonton Oilers – 8p ET
- In Edmonton the Ottawa Senators would come to town to take on the Oilers… and it was all Oilers to start. In the first period the Oilers would get goals from Darnell Nurse, Jujhar Khaira, Leon Draisaitl, and Connor McDavid to take a commanding 4-0 lead. Then in the second period Draisaitl would net his second of the game and James Neal would tally to grow the Oilers lead to six. Draisaitl nets his third goal of the game to secure the hat trick and the Sens gets on the board when Evgenii Dadonov gets his ninth goal of the season. Edmonton goes on to cruise by Ottawa with the 7-1 win.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In Colorado the Avalanche would host the Arizona Coyotes, and in the first period Brandon Saad would score for the Avs to take a 1-0 lead. In the second, Tyler Pitlick gets his sixth goal on the season as the Coyotes tie the contest. In the overtime period, Gabriel Landeskog gets his seventh goal of the season as the Avalanche beat the Coyotes 2-1.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Anaheim Ducks – 9:30p ET
- In Anaheim for the Freeway Battle, the Ducks would play host to the Los Angeles Kings. In the first period Adrian Kempe would strike on the powerplay to give the Kings the 1-0 lead. In the second, Anze Kopitar gets a PPG, his seventh goal, as the Kings take the 2-0 lead. Sam Steel scores to get the Ducks on the board. Kempe nets his second goal of the contest to give the Kings the two goal lead again. In the third, Andreas Athanasiou and Alex Iafollo both score to give the Kings the 5-1 lead and victory over the Anaheim Ducks.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Vancouver Canucks – 11p ET
- In a late night East Coast match-up, the Canadiens look to bounce back after the overtime loss Monday night, In the first period, Jesperi Kotkaniemi gets his third goal of the season at 15:34 to get Montreal on the board. In the second, Corey Perry gets his fourth goal of the season at 2:09 to give the Habs the 2-0 lead and Vancouver gets on the board when Brock Boeser gets his 14th goal, a PPG, of the season at 4:54. Montreal then gets a PPG when Shea Weber gets his fifth goal of the season at 14:11 to get the 3-1 lead. In the third, Jeff Petry gets his 10th goal of the season at 6:36 to give the Habs the three goal lead over Vancouver. Montreal gets the 5-1 lead and win with a Phillip Danault goal, his first on the season at 13:49.
- NYR v. BOS – 7p ET
- PIT v. BUF – 7p ET
- NJ v. NYI – 7p ET
- WAS v. PHI – 7p ET
- NAS v. CAR – 7p ET
- FLA v. CLB – 7p ET
- WIN v. TOR – 7p ET
- TB v. DET – 7:30p ET
- CHI v. DAL – 8:30p ET
- MON v. CAL – 9:30p ET