NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, March 9th, 2021
- New York Rangers v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 6p ET
- In Pittsburgh for a rare 6p weekday start the Penguins would play host to the New York Rangers. In the first period Jack Johnson would open the scoring for the Rangers, but Jake Guentzel would tie up the game at one for the Pens. Then in the second period Teddy Blueger and Kasperi Kapanen would score to give the Pens the two goal lead. In the third period Ryan Strome would score for the Rangers, but Sidney Crosby’s ninth of the season would secure the 4-2 victory for the Penguins.
- Boston Bruins v. New York Islanders – 7pm ET
- On Long Island the New York Islanders would play host to the Boston Bruins, and in the first period the B’s would strike late in the period as David Pastrnak would strike on the powerplay to give them the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Brock Nelson would tally a powerplay goal to tie the game at one for the Isles. After a scoreless third period and extra frame, it would be Anthony Beauvillier with the shootout winner to give the Islanders the 2-1 victory over the Bruins.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would host the Buffalo Sabres. In the first period James van Riemsdyk would open the scoring two minutes in for the Flyers, but the Sabres would get a pair of goals from Sam Reinhart and a tally Riley Sheahan to take the 3-1 lead. Then in the second period Brandon Montour would grow the Sabres lead to three, but goals by Kevin Hayes and Claude Giroux would bring the Flyers back within one. Then in the third period Shayne Gostisbehere would score to tie the game at four and send the game to overtime. After a scoreless five minutes of overtime Nolan Patrick would score in the shootout to give the Flyers the 5-4 comeback victory
- New Jersey Devils v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- Rocking their Reverse Retros, the Washington Capitals would host the New Jersey Devils. In the first period TJ Oshie would open the scoring while on the powerplay for the Caps. Then in the second period Janne Kuokkanen would score for the Devils, but goals from Jakub Vrana, Daniel Sprong, and Dmitry Orlov would give the Caps the three goals lead. However, in the third period the Devils would come alive as they would get goals from Miles Wood, Yegor Sharangovich, and Damon Severson to tie the game at four and send the game to overtime. In overtime it would be Vrana’s second of the game to give the Capitals the 5-4 victory.
- Nashville Predators v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina we would see the Nashville Predators take on the Hurricanes, and after a scoreless first period we would see both teams trade tallies as Matt Benning and Ryan Johanson would score for the Preds, and Jordan Staal and Sebastian Aho would strike for the Canes. After a scoreless third period, Staal would score his second of the game to complete the comeback and give the Hurricanes the 3-2 victory.
- Florida Panthers v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets would take on the Florida Panthers, and in the first period Juho Lammikko would strike for the Panthers to take the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Michael Del Zotto would score for the Jackets, but tallies from Patric Hornqvist and Owen Tippet would grow the Panthers lead to two. In the third period Oliver Bjorkstrand would score for the Jackets, but Carter Verhaeghe would score to give the Panthers the 4-2 victory.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs and Winnipeg Jets would do battle. In the first period Andrew Copp would score for the Jets, but tallies from Zach Hyman and Auston Matthews would give the Leafs the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period Josh Morrissey and Kyle Connor would score to give the Jets the 3-2 lead. In the third period Matthews would score his second of the game for his 20th of the season, but a goal from Mason Appleton would secure the 4-3 victory for the Jets.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Detroit Red Wings – 7:30p ET
- In Detroit the Red Wings and Tampa Bay Lightning would do battle, and in the first period Adam Erne would score first for the Wings, but tallies from Brayden Point and Tyler Johnson would give the Bolts the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period Patrik Nemeth and Dylan Larkin would score for the Wings to take a one goal lead, but in the third period Erik Cernak would score to tie the game at three and send it to overtime. Then in overtime Blake Coleman would strike to give the Lightning the 4-3 victory.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Dallas Stars – 8:30p ET
- In Dallas, Patrick Kane would play in his 1000th NHL career game as the Chicago Blackhawks took on the Stars. In the first period Joel Kiviranta and Jamie Oleksiak would score for the Stars to take a 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Mattias Janmark would score for the Blackhawks, but tallies from John Klingberg, Joe Pavelski, and Esa Lindell would give the Stars a commanding four goal lead. In the third period Roope Hintz would score to give Dallas the 6-1 victory.
- VGK v. MIN – 7p ET
- OTT v. EDM – 8p ET
- ARI v. COL – 9p ET
- LA v. ANA – 9:30p ET
- MON v. VAN – 11p ET