NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, March 2nd, 2021
- Tim Stutzle of the Ottawa Senators earns top honors as the NHL Rookie of the Month after recording 3 goals and 7 assists for 10 points.
NHL Rookie of the Month – Stutzle Dazzles for February Honors
- The NHL announced Patrick Kane (CHI), Auston Matthews (TOR), David Pastrnak (BOS), and Logan Couture (SJ) as the NHL Stars of the Month for February.
NHL Players of the Month – February Stars of the Month Announced
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has announced that Edmonton Oilers forward Alex Chiasson has been suspended for one game.
- Chaisson has been suspended for Cross-Checking forward Jimmy Vesey of the Toronto Maple Leafs on Monday night.
- Chiasson will forfeit $18,534.48 under the terms of the CBA.
- New York Islanders v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In New Jersey the Devils would get in the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day early as they would rock their Reverse Retro uniforms against the New York Islanders. After a scoreless 40 minutes of action Oliver Wahlstrom would strike while shorthanded to give the Isles the 1-0 lead. Then Anders Lee would also tally a shorthanded marker to give the Islanders the 2-0, but with the goalie pulled the Devils would strike as Miles Wood would score with 13 seconds left, but the Islanders would hold on for the 2-1 victory.
- Buffalo Sabres v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers would play host to the Buffalo Sabres, and in the first period Sam Reinhart would open the scoring 55 seconds into the game, but tallies from Pavel Buchnevich and Alexis Lafreniere would give the Rangers the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period both teams would trade tallies as Tobias Rieder would score for the Sabres and Chris Kreider would tally for the Rangers to keep their one goal lead and take the 3-2 victory.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In the Battle of Pennsylvania the Pittsburgh Penguins would play host to the Philadelphia Flyers, and after a scoreless first period the Flyers would get on the board first with a Joel Farabee marker, but a pair of goals from Kasperi Kapanen and a tally from Bryan Rust would give the Pens the 3-1 lead. In the third period Farabee would net his second of the game to bring the Flyers back within one, but a tally from Cody Ceci would regain the two goal lead for the Pens, and a goal from Mike Matheson would give the Penguins the 5-2 victory.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- The Columbus Blue Jackets would play host to the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period both teams would trade tallies as Anthony Mantha would score a powerplay goal and Cam Atkinson would score a shorthanded tally. Then in the second period the Jackets would open up the scoring as Riley Nash, Jack Roslovic, and Boone Jenner would score to take a 4-1 victory over the Red Wings.
- Ottawa Senators v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- Up North in Montreal the Canadiens would host the Ottawa Senators, and after a scoreless first period Artem Zub would score for the Sens, but powerplay tallies from Brendan Gallagher and Jeff Petry would give the Habs the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Tyler Toffoli would give the Canadiens the 3-1 victory.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- The Nashville Predators would play host to the Carolina Hurricanes, and in the first period Sebastian Aho and Vincent Trocheck would score for the Canes to take a 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Steven Lorentz would record his first career NHL goal to give Carolina the three goal lead. Then in the third period Calle Jarnkrok and Mattias Ekholm would both score for the Predators, but the Hurricanes would strike with Aho’s second of the game to giver the Canes the 4-2 victory.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg the Vancouver Canucks would come to town to take on the Jets, and in the first period Elias Pettersson would strike for the Canucks, but tallies from Mason Appleton and Mathieu Perreault would give the Jets the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period Kyle Connor would score to grow the Jets lead to two, but JT Miller would score to bring the Canucks back within one. Then in the third period Paul Stastny and Blake Wheeler would both strike to give the Jets the 5-2 victory.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Dallas Stars – 8:30p ET
- In a rematch of the 2020 Stanley Cup Final, the Dallas Stars would play host to the Tampa Bay Lightning, and in the first period Ondrej Palat would score on the powerplay to give the Bolts the 1-0 lead. Then in the third period Yanni Gourde would ice the Stars with the empty netter to give the Lightning the 2-0 victory.
- WAS v. BOS – 7p ET
- TOR v. EDM – 8p ET
- STL v. ANA – 9:30p ET
- MIN v. VGK – 10p ET
- ARI v. LA – 10p ET
- COL v. SJ – 10:30p ET