NHL News and Notes from Thursday, February 25th, 2021
- Boston Bruins v. New York Islanders – 7p ET
- In Long Island, the Bruins take on the Islanders. In the first period, Boston takes the 1-0 lead with a Nick Ritchie goal just 1:02 into the contest. The Isles tie the contest when Adam Pelech gets his first goal of the season. New York takes the lead when Mathew Barzal nets his seventh goal of the season. In the second period, Craig Smith ties the game for Boston. In the third. the Isles go on a scoring frenzy, netting five unanswered goals from Anthony Beauvillier, Jordan Eberle, Jean-Gabriel Pageau, Anders Lee, and Oliver Wahlstrom and the Islanders go on to crush the Bruins with a 7-2 win.x`
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In the second game of the two game series, the Capitals look to bounce back against their arch-rivals. In the first period, Nicklas Backstrom gives Washington the 1-0 lead. After a scoreless second period, T.J. Oshie nets his fifth goal of the season in the third to give Washington the 2-0 lead. Pittsburgh gets a pair of goals to tie the game from Brandon Tanev and Jake Guentzel to tie the game 2-2. Tom Wilson gives the Capitals the lead again when he scores his seventh goal of the season.. The Caps take the 4-2 lead when Carl Hagelin gets his second goal of the season. Then Lars Eller seals the win for Washington with his third goal of the season and Washington gets the 5-2 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Michael’s TXHT Game Recap – Caps Make Pens Pay
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa, Carolina looks to bring a storm surge to the Lightning and in the first period, Carolina takes the lead when Brett Pesce scores his second goal of the season. In the second period, Tampa Bay ties the game when Mikhail Sergachev gets his first goal of the season. In the third period, Yanni Gourde gives the Lightning the 2-1 lead with his fifth goal of the season. Barclay Goodrow gives the Lightning the 3-1 lead with his fifth goal of the season and Tampa Bay goes on to win this game 3-1 over Carolina.
Tim’s TXHT Game Recap – Lightning Win Third Straight
- Dallas Stars v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida, the Panthers look to defeat the Stars and continue their own winning ways. After a scoreless first period, Dallas gets goals from Joe Pavelski and Jamie Benn to take the 2-0 lead. In the third period, Florida gets on the board with a goal from Aleksander Barkov at 13:39. Just a minute later, Florida ties the contest when Anton Stralman gets his second goal of the season. At 16:50 in the period, Frank Vatrano gets his fifth goal of the season as the Panthers take the 3-2 lead. Florida does go on to complete the comeback as the Panthers down the Stars with a 3-2 win.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus after a scoreless first and second period, Chicago gets on the board when Patrick Kane nets his 10th goal of the season. Chicago seals the lead with a Carl Soderberg goal with 50 seconds left to give the Blackhawks the 2-0 win over the Blue Jackets.
- Calgary Flames v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In the Canadian capital, the Flames look to bring the Senators down to earth and in the first period, Drake Batherson gets Ottawa on the board. Erik Gudbranson gets his first goal of the season as the Senators would take the 2-0 lead. In the second period, Calgary gets on the board with a Milan Lucic goal. Ottawa retakes the two goal lead with a Connor Brown goal at 4:39, his fifth goal. Erik Brannstrom gives Ottawa the three goal lead with his second goal of the season. In the third period, Colin White gets a pair of goals as the Senators go on to cruise past the Flames with a 6-1 victory.
- New Jersey Devils v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo, the Sabres look to get back into the win column as they take on the New Jersey Devils. In the first period, Buffalo takes the 1-0 lead when Riley Sheahan gets his second goal of the season. In the second period, New Jersey ties the game when Jesper Bratt gets his first goal of the season. Buffalo retakes the lead with a PPG from Casey Middlestadt, his first goal of the season. In the third period, Miles Wood ties the game for the Devils and Nico Hischier gets his first goal of the season as the Devils take the 3-2 lead. Buffalo will tie the game when Sam Reinhart nets a PPG, his seventh goal of the season. The contest moves to overtime and in OT, Pavel Zacha nets the game winner at 1:17 and the Devils defeat the Sabres 4-3.
- Nashville Predators v. Detroit Red Wings – 7p ET
- In Detroit, the Predators visit the Red Wings. In the first period, Luke Glendening gives the Red Wings the 1-0 lead. Mikael Granlund ties the game for Nashville with his fourth goal of the season. In the second period. Sam Gagner nets his first goal of the season to give the Red Wings the 2-1 lead. In the third period, Nashville makes it a 2-2 game when Erik Haula nets his first goal of the season. Sam Gagner nets a pair of goals and Adam Erne scores his second goal of the season as Detroit cruises past the Predators with a 5-2 win.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg, Montreal visits for the the first game in a two game set. In the first period, Joel Armia nets a pair of goals to give the Canadiens a 2-0 lead. In the second period, Kyle Connor nets a power play goal at 5:37 to come within a goal. Montreal takes the 3-1 lead when Tomas Tatar nets a power play goal of his own at 7:33. Winnipeg then gets two goals, a goal from Kyle Connor and Blake Wheeler, to tie the game 3-3. Then in the third period, Winnipeg takes their first lead in the contest when Ben Thompson nets his first goal of the season. Pierre-Luc Dubois then gives the Jets a two goal lead with his fourth goal of the season. The Jets then seal the win with an empty net goal from Mark Schiefele to give Winnipeg the 6-3 win over the Montreal Canadiens.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Arizona Coyotes – 9p ET
- Edmonton Oilers v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver, the Canucks look to get back into the win column. After a scoreless first period, Alex Chiasson gives the Oilers the 1-0 lead at 7:41 in the second period. In the third period, Jesse Puljujarvi gets his sixth goal of the season, a PPG, to give the Oilers the 2-0 lead. Connor McDavid seals the win with an empty net goal and the Oilers shut out the Canucks with the 3-0 win.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. San Jose Sharks – 10:30p ET
- BOS v. NYR – 7p ET
- LA v. MIN – 8p ET
- COL v. ARI – 9p ET