NHL News and Notes from Monday, February 22st, 2021
- Auston Matthews earned top honors as the NHL announced the Three Stars of the Week for the week of Feb. 15th through 21st.
- Connor McDavid and David Pastrnak would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
NHL Stars of the Week – Matthews Shines Above All For Top Honors
- Dallas Stars v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida the Panthers would play host to the Dallas Stars, and in the first period Blake Comeau would score his first of the season to give Dallas the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Aaron Ekblad and Keith Yandle both would score to give the Panthers the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Aleksander Barkov would score the empty netter to give the Panthers the 3-1 victory.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- The Carolina Hurricanes would play host to the Tampa Bay Lightning on the one year anniversary of David Ayres becoming a legend with the Hurricanes. In the first period Jesper Fast would net his first as a Cane to give them the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman would score for the Lightning, but Fast’s second of the game would tie the game at two. In the third period Ondrej Palat and Alex Killorn would score to give the Lightning the 4-2 victory.
Tim’s TXHT Game Recap – Bolts Bounce Back, Top Canes 4-2
- Buffalo Sabres v. New York Islanders – 7p ET
- On Long Island the New York Islanders would play host to the Buffalo Sabres, and in the first period it would be the Sabres striking first with a Curtis Lazar tally. Then in the second period Anders Lee would score to tie the game, and in the third period Sam Reinhart would score for the Sabres, but goals from Matt MArtin and Jean-Gabriel Pageau would give the Islanders the 3-2 victory.
- Calgary Flames v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Calgary Flames would come to town to torch the Maple Leafs, and the Flames would get a goal period to down the Leafs 3-0. Sam Bennett would score in the first period, followed by a second period tally from Matthew Tkachuk on the powerplay, and lastly a powerplay Sean Monahan goal would secure the Calgary victory.
- Los Angeles Kings v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- It’s a Reverse Retro kinda night in St. Louis as the Blues play host to the Los Angeles Kings. In the first period Gabriel Vilardi would score on the powerplay to give the Kings the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Dustin Brown would score late in the period to grow the Kings lead to two. Then late in the third period Brown would net his second of the game to give the Kings the 3-0 victory.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In their second meeting in three days, the Colorado Avalanche would play host to the Vegas Golden Knights, but this time home in Denver. After a scoreless first period, the Knights would get two goals from Alex Tuch to take the 2-0 lead, and then Jonathan Marchessault would strike to grow the Vegas lead to three, and Vegas would hold on in a scoreless third period to take the 3-0 victory over the Avalanche.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Arizona Coyotes – 9p ET
- In Arizona, the Anaheim Ducks and Coyotes would do battle, and in the first period Jakob Silfverberg and Max Jones would both score to give the Ducks the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Cam Fowler would score to grow the Ducks lead to three, but the Coyotes would come alive with three goals as Christian Dvorak, Derick Brassard, and Jakob Chychrun would score to tie the game at three. Then in the third period Dvorak would net his second of the game to give the Coyotes the 4-3 comeback victory.
- Minnesota Wild v. San Jose Sharks – 1030p ET
- In San Jose the Sharks would host the Minnesota Wild, and in the first period Brent Burns would score 45 seconds into the game for the Sharks to take the 1-0 lead, but goals from Mats Zuccarello and Kirill Kaprizov would give teh Wild the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period Logan Couture would score for the Sharks, but goals from Ian Cole, Marcus Foligno, and Jonas Brodin woul dgrow the Wild lead to 5-2. In the third period Victor Rask would score to ice the game and give the Wild the 6-2 victory.
- BUF v. NJ – 7p ET
- PIT v. WAS – 7p ET
- CHI v. CLB – 7p ET
- MON v. OTT – 7p ET
- NAS v. DET – 7:30p ET
- EDM v. VAN – 10p ET