NHL News and Notes from Sunday, February 21st, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has fined Los Angeles Kings defenseman Austin Strand for cross checking forward Conor Garland of the Arizona Coyotes on Saturday night.
- Strand was fined $3,168.10 for the infraction. The fine is the maximum allowed under the CBA.
- New Jersey Devils v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In what was originally an evening game, but now an afternoon game on NBC, the Washington Capitals play host to the New Jersey Devils (previously scheduled to be the Rangers) for another edition of matinee hockey. In the first period Andreas Johnsson would strike on the powerplay to give the Devils the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Jack Hughes would strike to grwo their lead to two, but TJ Oshie’s powerplay tally late in the second would bring the Caps back within one. Then in the third period the Caps would erupt with three more goals as John Carlson would rip a laser for his fifth of the season, Oshie would net his second powerplay goal of the game, and Alex Ovechkin would net career goal 712 while on the powerplay to give the Caps the commanding 4-2 lead. Nikita Gusev would net his first of the season for the Devils, but the Capitals would prevail and give Craig Anderson his first win as a Capital 4-3.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa the Senators and Montreal Canadiens would do battle, and in the first both teams would trade goals as Nick Suzuki would strike in the opening minutes for the Habs, and Drake Batherson would tie the game up for the Sens. Then after a scoreless second period Josh Norris would give the Senators the lead, but Corey Perry would score to tie the game two and send the game to overtime. In the extra frame it would be Brady Tkachuk with his sixth of the season to give the Senators the 3-2 victory over the Canadiens.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Boston Bruins – 730p ET
- In the second game from Lake Tahoe, the Philadelphia Flyers and Boston Bruins would do battle and in the first period both teams would strike for two goals each. David Pastrnak and Charlie McAvoy would strike for the B’s and Joel Farabee and Sean Couturier would strike for the Flyers. Then in the second period the B’s would erupt for 4 goals as Pastrnak would net his second of the game, and the Bruins would also get goals from Charlie Coyle, Trent Frederic, and Nick Ritchie to take the commanding 6-2 lead. In the third period, James van Riemsdyk scores for the Flyers to make it a 6-3 Boston lead. David Pastrnak gets the hat trick and the Bruins take the 7-3 win in the second NHL Outdoors game.
Scott’s TXHT Game Recap – Outdoors @ Lake Tahoe recap: Boston Bruins vs Philadelphia Flyers
- Winnipeg Jets v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver, the Jets take on the Canucks in the second of a two game series. In the first period, Vancouver gets two goals, one from Brandon Sutter and one from Elias Pettersson, to give Vancouver a 2-0 lead. At 14:37 in the second period, Pierre-Luc Dubois scores his first goal as a Winnipeg Jet and the Jets trail by a goal. In the third period, Mark Scheifele and Neal Pionk both score givng the Jets the 3-2 lead. Then, Pettersson scores to tie the game 3-3. In the overtime frame, Dubois scores the game winner and the Jets go on to win this game 4-3 in overtime.
- DAL v. FLA – 7p ET
- TB v. CAR – 7p ET
- BUF v. NYI – 7p ET
- CAL v. TOR – 7p ET
- LA v. STL – 8p ET
- VGK v. COL – 9p ET
- ANA v. ARI – 9p ET