NHL News and Notes from Saturday, February 20th, 2021
- Buffalo Sabres v. New Jersey Devils – 12:30p ET
- In New Jersey the Devils would take on the slumping Buffalo Sabres, and in the first period the Sabres would strike first as Colin Miller would net his second of the season. Then in the second period Sam Reinhart would net a pair of goals to give the Sabres the 3-0 lead. In the third period Kyle Palmieri and PK Subban would strike for the Devils, but the Sabres would hold on for the 3-2 victory.
- New York Rangers v. Washington Capitals – 1230p ET
- At home for a 1230p matinee game, the Washington Capitals would play host to the New York Rangers. In the first period Chris Kreider would strike first for the Rangers while on the powerplay. Then in the second period Alexis Lafreniere and Ryan Strome would score to grow the Rangers lead to three, but Dmitry Orlov would strike in the final 40 seconds of the period to bring the Caps back within two. However, in the third period Mika Zibanejad would score a empty net shorthanded tally to give the Rangers the 4-1 victory over the Capitals.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Colorado Avalanche – 3p ET
- In the first of two games at Lake Tahoe, The Colorado Avalanche would play host to the Vegas Golden Knights, and in the first period Samuel Girard would score his second of the season three minutes into the game to give the Avs the 1-0 lead. However, when this game went into the first intermission they encountered ice issues due to the sun and this game has been postponed to resumed later in the night at Midnight ET/9p PT.
- This game resumed and concluded too late to be fully recapped in today’s Daily.
- Florida Panthers v. Detroit Red Wings – 5p ET
- In Detroit the Red Wings take on the red hot Florida Panthers for the second consecutive night, and in the first period Alexander Wennberg would strike on the powerplay to give the Panthers the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Patrik Nemeth would net his first of the season, and Mathias Brome would net his first career NHL goal to give the Wings the 2-1 victory.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Arizona Coyotes – 7p ET
- In Arizona the Los Angeles Kings would come to town looking to tame the Coyotes, and after a scoreless first period Alex Iafallo would score on the powerplay for the Kings to take the 1-0 lead, but a powerplay tally by Derick Brassard would tie the game at one for the Coyotes. Then in the third period Phil Kessel would score on the powerplay for the Coyotes, but goals from Trevor Moore, Gabriel Vilardi, and Iafallo’s second of the game would give the Kings the 4-2 victory.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- New York Islanders v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh celebrating Sidney Crosby’s 1000th NHL game, the Penguins would take on the New York Islanders. After a scoreless first period the Pens would strike as Kris Letang would net his first of the season while on the powerplay to give the Penguins the 1-0 lead, but later in the period Jordan Eberle would net his 7th of the season to tie the game at one. Then in the third period Brock Nelson would score to give the Isles the 2-1 lead, but goals from Mike Matheson and Letang’s second of the game would give the Penguins the 3-2 victory.
- Nashville Predators v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets are seeing red as they face the Nashville Predators. In the first period Calle Jarnkrok and Colton Sissons would score for the Preds to take the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period the Jackets would respond as Boone Jenner would strike while shorthanded and Gabriel Carlsson would net his first career NHL goal to tie the game at two. In the third period Jarnkrok would net his second of the game and Filip Forsberg would score to give the Predators the 4-2 victory over the Blue Jackets.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Toronto Maple Leafs would be seeing blue as they face the Canadiens clad in their Reverse Retro uniforms. After a scoreless first period the floodgates would open as the Habs would get goals from Jesper Kotkaniemi and Paul Byron, while Auston Matthews would net a pair of goals, and tallies from Travis Boyd and Mitch Marner would give the Leafs the 4-2 lead. Then in the third period Alexander Kerfoot would net his fourth of the season to give the Maple Leafs the 5-2 lead, and while Tyler Toffoli would net his 11th of the season for the Canadiens, the Leafs would hold on for the 5-3 victory.
- San Jose Sharks v. St. Louis Blues – 7p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would take on the San Jose Sharks, and in the first period Evander Kane and Logan Couture would strike to give the Sharks the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Brayden Schenn and Zach Sanford would score for the Blues, but goals from Rudolfs Balcers and Patrick Marleau would give the Sharks the 4-2 leaed. However, before the second period could end Ryan O’Reilly would strike to bring the Blues back within one, and Jordan Kyrou’s 7th of the season would tie the game at four a piece. In the third period Balcers would net his second of the game to give the Sharks the 5-4 victory.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Dallas Stars – 8p ET
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina after some schedule shuffling the Hurricanes would play host to the Tampa Bay Lightning, and after a scoreless first period Vincent Trocheck and Sebastian Aho would strike to give the Canes the 2-0 lead. Then in the third period Cedric Paquette and Andrei Svechnikov would score to give the Hurricanes the 4-0 victory over the Lightning.
- Minnesota Wild v. Anaheim Ducks – 9p ET
- In Anaheim, Minnesota gets a pair of goals, a goal each from Mats Zuccarello and Kevin Fiala to give the Wild the 2-0 lead at the end of the first period. In the second, Fiala gets his second goal of the game to give Minnesota the 3-0 lead. Anaheim gets on the board when David Backes gets his second goal of the season. In the third period, Victor Rask makes it a 4-1 Minnesota lead. Joel Eriksson Ek gives the Wild a four goal lead at 14:26. The Wild go on to cruise by the Ducks with a 5-1 win.
- Calgary Flames v. Edmonton Oilers – 10p ET
- Game Three of the Battle of Alberta starts off in the first period with a goal by Alex Chiasson at 3:29 to give the Oilers the 1-0 lead. At 5:41 in the period, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins nets his eighth goal of the season giving Edmonton the 2-0 lead. Then at 7:54, Calgary gets on the board with Andrew Mangiapane’s sixth goal of the season. At 17:11, Connor McDavid gets his 10th goal of the season, giving the Oilers the two goal lead back. In the second period, McDavid gets his 11th goal of the season just 66 seconds into the frame. At 8:12 in the period, Connor McDavid gets the hat trick, with the Oilers now leading 5-1 over the Flames. Nugent-Hopkins makes it a five goal lead for the Oilers with his second goal of the night. In the third period, Josh Archibald gets on the scoresheet as the Oilers cruise past the Flames 7-1.
- NJ v. WAS – 2p ET
- MON v. OTT – 7p ET
- PHI v. BOS – 730p ET (Game at Lake Tahoe)
- WIN v. VAN – 10p ET