NHL News and Notes from Wednesday February 17th, 2021
- Florida Panthers v. Carolina Hurricanes – 5p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would take on the Florida Panthers, and in the first period the Canes would bring the storm as they would get goals from Jordan Staal and Sebastian Aho in the a span of 22 seconds late in the period to take the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period the Panthers would begin to claw back into the game with a tally from Jonathan Huberdeau, and in the third period would get goals from Alex Wennberg and Juho Lammikko to take the 3-2 lead. However, a powerplay goal from Vincent Trocheck would tie the game for the Canes and send the game to overtime. Then in the extra frame it would be Huberdeau’s second of the game to give the Panthers the 4-3 victory.
- Ottawa Senators v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would play the Ottawa Senators for the third time in as many nights, and after a scoreless first period both teams would trade tallies as Auston Matthews would strike first for the Leafs followed by a Brady Tkachuk goal for the Sens to tie the game at one. Then in the third period Alexander Kerfoot would strike for his third of the season to give the Maple Leafs the 2-1 victory.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Detroit Red Wings – 7:30p ET
- It would be an Original Six matchup in Detroit as the Red Wings would host the Chicago Blackhawks, and after a scoreless first period Philipp Kurashev’s fifth of the season while on the powerplay would give the Blackhawks the 1-0 lead. Then late in the third period Alex DeBrincat would score his 9th of the season to give the Blackhawks the 2-0 lead over the Red Wings.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Calgary Flames – 10p ET
- In the Saddledome, the Canucks look to extinguish the Flames. In the first period, Jordie Benn scores his first goal of the season at 1:46 to give Vancouver the 1-0 lead. In the second period, Bo Horvat nets his eighth goal of the season to extend Vancouver’s lead to 2-0. Calgary gets on the board at 18:13 when Andrew Mangiapane gets his fifth goal of the season and 15 seconds later, J.T. Miller scores to give the Canucks the 3-1 lead. Nate Schmidt gets his second goal of the season with 55 seconds left in the period to give Vancouver a three goal lead. In the third, Brock Boeser extends the Vancouver lead to 5-1 with his 12th goal of the season. Vancouver goes on to put out the Flames with the 5-1 victory.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Edmonton Oilers – 10p ET
- In Edomonton, the Jets visit the Oilers. In the first period, Jesse Puljujarvi gets his fourth goal of the season to give Edmonton the 1-0 lead. The Oilers take the 2-0 lead with a goal by Leon Draisaitl. Winnipeg gets on the board when Mark Scheifele gets his eighth goal of the season, a PPG. In the second period, Draisaitl gets his second goal of the season, giving the Oilers a 3-1 lead. In the third period, Neal Pionk gets his second goal of the season, but the Jets are still behind a goal. The Oilers escape with a 3-2 victory over the Winnipeg Jets.
- NJ v. BOS – 7p ET
- NYR v. PHI – 7p ET
- NYI v. PIT – 7p ET
- NAS v. CBJ – 7p ET
- OTT v. TOR – 7p ET
- BUF v. WAS – 7p ET
- SJ v. STL – 8p ET
- TB v. DAL – Postponed
- LA v. ARI – 9p ET
- MIN v. ANA – 10p ET