NHL News and Notes from Thursday, February 11th, 2021
The Vegas Golden Knights announced that they would don gold helmets in the contest against the Anaheim Ducks.
- Washington Capitals v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. New York Islanders – 7p ET
- On Long Island the New York Islanders would host the Pittsburgh Penguins. In the first period Bryan Rust would score for the Pens, but goals from Casey Cizikas and Jean-Gabriel Pageau would give the Isles the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period Zach Aston-Reese would tie the game at two for the Penguins. In the third period, Matthew Barzal gives the Isles the 3-2 lead and then Pittsburgh makes it a 3-3 tie with a goal by Evgeni Malkin, his third. The game goes to the shootout and Pittsburgh gets the 4-3 win with the Sidney Crosby goal in the third round of the shootout.
- New Jersey Devils v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In a Sunshine State battle, the Florida Panthers host the defending Stanley Cup champions. In the first period, Florida takes the 1-0 lead when Frank Vatrano gets his second goal of the season. In the second period, the Panthers take the 2-0 lead when Alex Wennberg nets his third goal of the season. Tampa gets on the board with a PPG by Brayden Point, his fifth goal of the season. Florida retakes the two goal lead with an Aaron Ekblad PPG, his fourth goal. Florida takes a commanding 4-1 lead when Carter Verhaeghe scores his seventh goal of the season. In the third period, Point scores his second goal of the night. Florida makes it a 5-2 lead when Brett Connolly scores his first goal of the season. The Panthers go on to win this contest 5-2 over the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Tim’s TXHT Game Recap –Bolts Drop First Sunshine State Showdown
- Edmonton Oilers v. Montreal Canadiens – 8p ET
- For the second consecutive night, the Montreal Canadiens have a home game but tonight the Oilers visit. In the first period, Jujhar Khaira gets the Oilers on the board. In the second period, Edmonton takes the 2-0 lead with a Darnell Nurse goal. In the third, Tyson Barrie scores a PPG to give the Oilers the 3-0 lead. Edmonton goes on to shutout the Montreal Canadiens with the 3-0 win.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Chicago Blackhawks – 8p ET
- In the Windy City, the Blue Jackets visit the Blackhawks. In the first period, Columbus gets on the board with a shorthanded goal by Cam Atkinson. In the second period, Chicago gets goals from Ian Mitchell, Nicolas Beaudin, and Pius Suter for the 3-1 lead. Columbus gets within a goal with a Jack Roslovic PPG. In the third period, Chicago takes the 4-2 lead with a PPG by Patrick Kane 29 seconds in the period. Boone Jenner and Roslovic both score for Columbus, tying the contest 4-4. Chicago gets the 5-4 lead with a goal by Alex DeBrincat, his seventh goal. Michael del Zotto and Kevin Stenlund both score for Columbus, giving the Blue Jackets the 6-5 win over the Chicago Blackhawks.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Music City, the Predators play host to the Red Wings. In the first period, Nashville gets on the board with a PPG by Ryan Ellis. Detroit ties the game 1-1 with a goal by Robby Fabbri. In the second period, Nashville retakes the lead with a goal by Matt Duchene. Detroit ties the game again when Marc Staal nets his second goal of the season. In the third period, Dante Fabbro scores the game winner for Nashville as the Predators down the Red Wings 3-2.
- Ottawa Senators v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg, the Jets host the Senators. After no goals were scored in the first period, Paul Stastny, Nikolaj Ehlers, and Blake Wheeler all score to give the Jets the 3-0 lead. In the third period, Mathieu Perreault scores to give Winnipeg the 4-0 lead. Ottawa gets on the board with a Josh Norris goal, his third. Winnipeg’s Neal Pionk scores his first goal, giving the Jets the 5-1 lead and eventual win over the Ottawa Senators.
- St. Louis Blues v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Dallas Stars – 8:30p ET
- In Dallas, the Stars host the Hurricanes. In the first period, Carolina gets on the board when Sebastian Aho gets his third goal of the season. In the second period, Mark Pysyk ties the game for the Stars. Jordan Staal gives the Canes the 2-1 lead with his third goal of the season. Dallas gets goals from Roope Hintz and Joe Pavelski to take the 3-2 lead. Brock McGinn ties the game 3-3 with his fifth goal of the season. In the third period, Nino Niederreiter and Warren Foegele both score to take the 5-3 lead and win over the Dallas Stars.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- Calgary Flames v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver, the Flames visit the Canucks. In the first period, Mark Giordano gets the Flames on the board. In the second period, Brock Boeser ties the game for Vancouver with his 10th goal of the season. Calgary gets the lead back with an Andrew Mangiapane goal, his fourth of the season. In the third period, Johnny Gaudreau nets his eighth goal of the season to give the Flames the 3-1 lead and victory.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas, the Golden Knights host the Ducks for the fourth and final time during the regular season. After no goals were scored in the first two periods of the contest, Max Comtois gets the Ducks on the board with his sixth goal of the season and the Ducks go on to get the 1-0 win over the Golden Knights.
- San Jose Sharks v. Los Angeles Kings – 10p ET
- In the City of Angels, Los Angeles plays host to the San Jose Sharks. In the first period, the Kings get three goals from Anze Kopitar, Carl Gundstrom, and Austin Wagner. San Jose gets on the board with a goal from Tomas Hertl. In the second period, the Sharks come within a goal when Logan Couture nets his first goal of the season. In the third period, Jaret Anderson-Dolan scores followed by a goal from Alex Iafallo to give the Kings the 5-2 lead. Jeff Carter gives Los Angeles the four goal lead with Carter’s second goal of the season. Los Angeles goes on to down the Sharks with the 6-2 win.
- BOS v. NYR – 7p ET
- STL v. ARI – 9p ET