NHL News and Notes from Monday, February 8th, 2021
- David Pastrnak of the Boston Bruins earned First Star honors for the week of Feb. 1st through 7th.
- Patrick Kane (CHI) and Jeff Petry (MON) would round out the Three Stars of the Week.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Pastrnak Sparks First Star Honors
- Buffalo Sabres v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- New York Islanders v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden it would be the battle of New York as the Rangers would play host to the Islanders, and after a scoreless forty minutes it would be all Islanders as they would get goals from Casey Cizikas and Matt Martin to give the Islanders the 2-0 victory.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Carolina Hurricanes and Blue Jackets do battle once again, and in the first period Scott Harrington would net his first of the season to give the Jackets the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Nino Niederreiter and Brock McGinn would both score for the Canes, but Cam Atkinson would score on a penalty shot while shorthanded to keep the game even for the Jackets. In the third period Jack Roslovic would tally his second of the season to give the Blue Jackets the 3-2 victory.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa the Senators would take on the Edmonton Oilers, and after an eventful first period would see two fights in the opening minutes of the game, it would not be until the second period when Evgenii Dadonov would open the scoring for the Sens, but Leon Draisaitl would tie the game at one. Then in the third period Tyler Ennis and Josh Archibald would score to give the Oilers the 3-1 victory.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the struggling Vancouver Canucks look to rebound against the Maple Leafs. In the first period Morgan Rielly would strike with his second of the season to give the Leafs the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Elias Pettersson would strike on the powerplay to tie the game at one for the Canucks, but third period tallies from Auston Matthews and Alexander Kerfoot would give the Maple Leafs the 3-1 victory over the Canucks.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would host the Tampa Bay Lightning and in the first two periods it would be Anthony Cirelli netting two goals to give the Lightning the 2-0 lead. Then in the third period Dante Fabbro would strike on the powerplay for the Preds, but goals by Blake Coleman and Steven Stamkos would give the Lightning the 4-1 victory.
- Tim’s TXHT Recap – Bolts Still Buzzing in Road Win
- Arizona Coyotes v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would host the Arizona Coyotes for the fourth straight time in the past week. In the first period Ryan O’Rielly would strike on the powerplay to give the Blues the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Conor Garland and Christian Dvorak would score for the Coyotes, but David Perron’s fifth of the season would keep the Blues in it with a tied score of 2-2. In the third period O’Rielly would net his second of the game to give the Blues the 3-2 lead, but with one second left in regulation and on the powerplay Clayton Keller would tie the game at three and send the game to overtime. After the extra frame, the game would still be tied at three and the shootout would be needed which would see Dvorak strike in the final round to give the Coyotes the 4-3 shootout victory over the Blues.
- PIT v. NJ – Postponed
- PHI v. WSH – 7p ET – Kassie’s TXHT Preview – Sometimes You Gotta Fall Before You Fly
- DET v. FLA – 7p ET
- EDM v. OTT – 7p ET
- STL v. MIN – Postponed
- TB v. NSH – 8:30p ET
- CHI v. DAL – 8:30p ET
- ARI v. COL – Postponed
- ANA v. VGK – 10p ET
- SJ v. LA – 10p ET
- WPG v. CGY – 10p ET