NHL News and Notes from Sunday, February 7th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has fined San Jose Sharks defenseman Radim Simek $5000 for spearing Anaheim Ducks forward Adam Henrique on Saturday night. The fine amount is the maximum allowed under the CBA
- Regarding the Philadelphia Flyers, the NHL made the following statement regarding their participation against the Washington Capitals.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Washington Capitals – 12p ET
- In the NBC game of the day, the Washington Capitals would play host to the Philadelphia Flyers. In the first period while on the powerplay Alex Ovechkin would open the scoring to give the Capitals the 1-0 lead, then Ovechkin would put on a display as he would feed Tom Wilson in front of the net to grow their lead to two, but before the period was over Scott Laughton would score to bring the Flyers back within one. Then in the second period Laughton would net his second of the game to tie the game at two, but Ovechkin would net his second of the game to retake the lead for the Caps. However, goals from Robert Hagg and James van Riemsdyk would give the Flyers a two goal lead, but Nicklas Backstrom would score to get the Caps back within one. In the final frame it would be all Flyers as Sean Couturier would net a pair of goals and Laughton would complete the hat trick to give the Flyers the 7-4 victory.
- Kassie’s TXHT Recap – Capitals Give Up Three To Laughton, Fall to Flyers
- Los Angeles Kings v. Vegas Golden Knights – 3p ET
- In Vegas the Golden Knights would take on the Los Angeles Kings, and in the first period both teams would trade tallies as the Kings would get goals from Anze Kopitar and Adrian Kempe and the Knights would get goals from Reilly Smith, Zach Whiteclooud and Chandler Stephenson to give Vegas the 3-2 lead. In the second period Jaret Anderson-Dolan would score to tie the game at three for the Kings, but in the third period Stephenson’s second of the game would give the Golden Knights the 4-3 victory.
- Colorado Avalanche v. St Louis Blues – 3p ET
- Arizona Coyotes v. Minnesota Wild – 3p ET
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Dallas Stars – 3p ET
- In Dallas the Chicago Blackhawks would come to town to take on the Stars, and after a scoreless first period Alex DeBrincat would open the scoring for the Blackhawks and give them the 1-0 lead. Then in the third period Jason Robertson would net his first of the season to tie the game at one, and send the game into overtime that would see DeBrincat net his second of the game to give Chicago the 2-1 victory.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Florida Panthers – 3p ET
- In Florida the Detroit Red Wings would take on the Panthers as they would look to earn their third victory of the season. After a scoreless first period Marc Staal would net his first as a Wing and Givani Smith would net his first of the season to give the Wings the 2-0 lead. Then int he third period Alexander Wennberg would net his first as a Panther, but goals from Robby Fabbri and Vladislav Namestnikov would give the Red Wings the 4-1 victory, and their third win of the season.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 3p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets look to weather the storm that the Carolina Hurricanes bring to town with them, and in the first period Brock McGinn would score for the Canes, but goals from Patrik Laine and Riley Nash would give the Jackets the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period Nick Foligno would score for the Jackets, but tallies from Warren Foegele, Brett Pesce, and Vincent Trocheck would give the Canes the 4-3 lead. In the final frame Max Domi and Laine (2nd of the game) would both score for the Blue Jackets, but goals from Jordan Staal and Dougie Hamilton would give the Hurricanes the 6-5 victory.
- BUF v. BOS – Postponed
- NYI v. NYR – 7p ET
- CAR v. CLB – 7p ET
- EDM v. OTT – 7p ET
- VAN v. TOR – 7p ET
- TB v. NSH – 8p ET
- ARI v. STL – 8p ET