Today the National Hockey League announced the Rookie of the Month for the month of January 2021.
Vitek Vanecek (G – WAS) & Mary “Dani” Dell’Isola (RN – MedStar Washington Hospital Center ER)
- Dell’Isola began her nursing career right at the onset of the pandemic in February 2020. Also known as Dani, she would quickly learn how to remain safe during these unprecedented times with the current health crisis we are living in.
- Dani regularly attends Capitals games, and looks forward to the day that we can all return to watch the Capitals play live again at Capital One Arena.
- Vanecek would guide the Capitals with a 5-0-2 record for the month of January that would also see him register a 2.78 goal against average and a .918 save percentage.
- Vanecek would tie for second in wins for the month of January in the NHL.
- Vanecek becomes the first Capitals goaltender to be named Rookie of the Month since October 2010 when Michal Neuvirth, a fellow Czech, earned the honor.
- Vanecek becomes the fourth goalie in franchise history to earn Rookie of the Month honors (Neuvirth, Jim Carey, and Bob Mason), and the eighth player to earn the honor overall.
- Vanecek also became the second goaltender in franchise history to go unbeaten in regulation during their first seven career games.
- The first being Carey in 1994-95 when he went 6-0-0-1.
* All Graphics courtesy of the NHL.