Today the National Hockey League has announced the Player of the Month for the month of January 2021.
Discover Central Division
Joe Pavelski (DAL) & Heather Newby (GENECIS Program at Children’s Health)
- Newby decided more than 25 years ago that she was going to become a social worker, and currently works for the GENder Education and Care Interdisciplinary Support (GENECIS) Program at Children’s Health in Dallas. Newby is the first point of contact that comes in the door or when they call on the phone, and works tirelessly to support all of the patients and families during this tough time due to COVID-19.
- In six games played Pavelski would tally five goals and five assists for ten points to lead the Stars to a 4-1-1 start to their 2020-21 NHL Season. He would open the season multi-point performances and game winning goals in the first two games of the season against the Nashville Predators on January 22nd and 24th.
Honda West Division
Anze Kopitar (LA) & Dr. Maurice O’Gorman (Children’s Hospital LA)
- The chief of laboratory medicine, as well as the director of the Clinical Lab and the Diagnostic and Flow Cytometry Laboratory at Children’s Hospital in Los Angeles, Dr. O’Gorman oversees the development and operations of more than 2 million lab tests performed annually, and has been at the forefront of CHLA’s COVID testing and research efforts.
- Kopitar would rank fourth in the NHL with 11 assists in eight contests that would see him finish the month with a combined 12 points. Kopitar’s efforts would lead the Kings to a 3-3-2 month, which would also see him produce five multi point games.
MassMutual East Division
James van Riemsdyk (PHI) & The Hatheway Family (St. Mary’s Medical Center)
- The Hatheway Family, Amanda (Mom) and Josh (Dad) both work the frontlines for St. Mary’s Medical Center. Parents to a four year old and a two year old, Amanda works as a nurse where she specializes in home healthcare visits, and Josh is an EMT who originally started at Newtown Ambulance before starting at St. Mary’s recently. Amanda had to take leave shortly after the pandemic began after being diagnosed with cancer, but is recovering at home after receiving a bone marrow transplant. The Hatheways were recently honored by the Flyers during a recent home game at Wells Fargo Center.
- van Riemsdyk was tied for first in the League with four powerplay goals, and was sixth overall with 13 points (5g, 8a) in 10 games played for the Flyers as they went 7-2-1. The opening month was their most points earned (15) through the opening 10 games of a season since the 2002-03 season. van Riemsdyk would record four multi-point games in the month of January.
Scotia North Division
Connor McDavid (EDM) & Renee Herman (RN – Royal Alexandria Hospital ICU)
- Herman, and registered nurse since 2010, has been working the ICU since 2014 for the Royal Alexandria Hospital. She has shone as a leader, and a positive influence throughout the pandemic as she maintained focus on providing patient and family centered care.
- McDavid would dominate the NHL in goals (tied with 8) and points (22) to guide the Oilers to a 5-6-0 start to the 2020-21 season. McDavid would also tally 7 powerplay assists, 10 powerplay points, 3 game winning goals, an 43 shots to either tie for first or for sole first in the NHL for the month of January.
* All Graphics Courtesy of the NHL, Dallas Stars, Philadelphia Flyers, and Video Courtesy of the Edmonton Oilers.