Today the National Hockey League announced their Three Stars of the Week for the week of January 25th through 31st.
First Stars – Thatcher Demko (G – VAN) and Alim Somani (RT – Richmond Hospital)
- Somani, a Respiratory Therapist for Richmond Hospital in Richmond, B.C., has been tirelessly working since the beginning of the pandemic witnessing numerous COVID-19 outbreaks throughout the past year. He has continued to selflessly work the frontlines to help aid and protect his community. Somani, who has an autoimmune disease, is a community first individual, and will stop at nothing to continue the fight against COVID-19.
- Demko would go undefeated in his three appearances for the Vancouver Canucks (3-0-0) and go on to stop 100 of the 103 shots he faced to give him a 1.00 goals against average and a .971 save percentage. On Jan. 25th Demko would make 35 saves in a 7-1 victory, and 42 save performance on Jan. 27th for a 5-1 victory to guide the Canucks to a three game sweep over the Ottawa Senators. Then on Jan. 30th against the Winnipeg Jets Demko would make 23 saves in a 4-1 victory to finish the week.
Second Star – Connor McDavid (C – EDM)
- McDavid led the League with 4 goals and be tied for first in points with 12 in four games played to power the Edmonton Oilers to a 2-2-0 week. McDavid would start the week with a goal and an assist in a 6-4 loss to the Jets on Jan. 26th, and two assists in a 4-3 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Jan. 28th. Then on Jan. 30th against the Leafs he would tally 2 goals and an assist in a 4-3 overtime victory, and on Jan. 31st against the Senators McDavid would explode for a five point game (1g, 4a) in the Oilers 8-5 victory.
Third Star – Leon Draisaitl (C – EDM)
- Draisaitl would tie fellow teammate McDavid with 12 points on the week, and would lead the League in assists (9) in part to help guide the Oilers to their 2-2-0 week. Against the Jets Draisaitl would record a goal and an assist, then in the first game against the Leafs he would tally two goals. Then in the second game against the Leafs Draisaitl would tally two assists, and in the 8-5 triumph over the Senators Draisaitl would record six assists to end the week.
* All Graphics Courtesy of the NHL.