NHL News and Notes from Saturday, January 23rd, 2021
- The Columbus Blue Jackets and Winnipeg Jets made a blockbuster trade.
- The Blue Jackets Acquired:
- Forward Patrik Laine
- Forward Jack Roslovic
- The Jets Acquired:
- Forward Pierre-Luc Dubois
- 2022 Third Round Pick
- As part of the trade, the Jets retained 26% of Laine’s salary.
- The Blue Jackets Acquired:
- After acquiring Roslovic from the Jets, the Blue Jackets would sign him to a two year deal worth $3.8 million.
- Roslovic’s new deal carries a $1.9 million AAV.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 2p ET
- In the second match up on the season, Tampa Bay looks to avoid their first loss on the season while the Blue Jackets look to win the second game in their season. In the first period, Victor Hedman gets Tampa Bay on the board with his first goal of the year at the 4:10 mark. Nick Foligno ties the game for Columbus with his goal 17 seconds after the Hedman goal. Columbus’ Mikhail Grigorenko scores his first goal of the season to give the Blue Jackets the 2-1 lead at 10:03. Columbus takes the 3-1 lead when Vladislav Gavirkov scores his first goal of the season at 19:01. Tampa Bay comes within a goal when a power play goal is scored at 19:46 by Ondrej Palat, his third goal on the season. After a scoreless second period, Columbus takes the 4-2 lead when Zach Werenski nets his first goal of the season at 6:34 and at 18:12 Eric Robinson gives the Blue jackets 5-2 lead and win with his first goal of the season.
- Tim’s TXHT Recap – Blue Jackets ground Bolts 4-2. Tampa splits road trip against Columbus
- Florida Panthers v. Carolina Hurricanes – 1p ET
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In the second math-up between these two rival clubs on the season, Boston looks to advance to 2-1-1 and Philadelphia looks to advance to 4-1-1. In the first period, Patrice Bergeron gets the Bruins on the board first with a power play goal, his second goal on the season, at 8:09. As the game reaches the second period, Kevin Hayes makes it a tie game with his third goal of the season at 1:14. Boston takes the lead back at 2-1 when Craig Smith nets his first goal of the year with a goal at 2:30. Boston takes the commanding 3-1 lead when Charlie Coyle scores his second goal of the season at 17:50 in the period. As the contest raches the third period, Boston’s Brad Marchand scores his second and third goals of the season at 4:13 and 7:59, respectively. The Marchand goal at 7:59 would be a power play goal and gave the Bruins the 5-1 lead. Boston seals the victory when Bergeron scores his second goal of the game at 13:33, also a power play goal, as the Bruins crush the Philadelphia Flyers 6-1.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Vancouver Canucks – 7p ET
- In the third match up between these two, each team looks to win the second game of the nine game season series. In the first period, Montreal’s Nick Suzuki nets his second goal of the season at 10:54. In the second period, Corey Perry nets his first goal of the season and his first goal as a member of the Montreal Canadiens at 11:42 to give Montreal the 2-0 lead. As this contest shifts to the third period, Vancouver gets on the board when Elias Pettersson scores his first goal of the season at 3:50. Vancouver’s Nils Hoglander ties the game at 2-2 when Hoglander nets his second goal of the season. Montreal takes the 3-2 lead when Brendan Gallagher nets his second goal of the season at 9:07. Jonathan Drouin makes it a 4-2 Canadiens lead with his first goal of the season at 12:44. Joel Edmundson seals the Montreal win with his first goal in the season at 17:06 to give Montreal the 5-2 win.
- Los Angeles Kings v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In the first of eight match-ups between these two teams on the season, each team looks to get the first win. In the first period. Torey Krug gets the Blues on the board with a power play goal at 13:12. Early in the second period, Los Angeles’ Adrian Kempe ties the game at 1-1 with a goal 57 seconds in. At 2:53, St. Louis take the lead back at 2-1 when Vince Dunn scores his first goal of the season. St. Louis takes the 3-1 advantage when David Perron nets his first goal of the season at 7:25. Dustin Brown brings the Kings within a goal when he scores at 16:29, a power play goal. With two seconds left in the third period, Jaden Schwartz scores for the Blues as St. Louis doubles up the Kings 4-2.
- Ottawa Senators v. Winnipeg Jets – 10p ET
- In third match up between these two squad on the season, Ottawa looks to get the first win while Winnipeg looks for their third win. In the first period at 14:03, Nikolaj Ehlers gets Winnipeg on the board with a power play goal. In the second period, Ottawa gets on the board at 4:04 with a goal by Evgenii Dadonov. Winnipeg gets the lead back at 8:18 when Kyle Connor scores his fourth goal of the season. Ottawa ties the game at 2-2 with a goal by Brady Tkachuk at 11:14, Tkachuk’s second goal on the season. Ottawa takes the 3-2 lead at 14:23 when Nick Paul nets his second goal of the season. As the contest moves to the third period, Andrew Copp ties the game at 3-3 with his first goal of the season at 2:24. Paul Stastny makes it a 4-3 Jets lead with Stastny’s first goal of the season, a PPG, at 15:45. Winnipeg takes the 5-3 lead when Copp scores his second goal of the night at 16:55. Mark Scheifele scores his third goal of the night to make it a 6-3 Winnipeg game and victory at 17:51.
- DET v. CHI – 1230p ET
- BUF v. WAS – 3p ET
- TOR v. CAL – 4p ET
- VGK v. ARI – 4p ET
- NYI v. NJ – 7p ET
- NYR v. PIT – 7p ET
- LA v. STL – 8p ET
- SJ v. MIN – 8p ET
- NAS v. DAL – 8p ET
- COL v. ANA – 8p ET
- EDM v. WIN – 9p ET