NHL News and Notes from Monday, January 18th, 2021
- Kirill Kaprizov of the Minnesota Wild was named the NHL First Star of the Week along with Frontline healthcare hero Brittany Hutchinson.
- Travis Konecny (PHI) and Steven Stamkos (TB) were the Second and Third Stars respectively.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Detroit Red Wings – 12p ET
- On Martin Luther King, Jr. Day the Detroit Red Wings would play host to the Columbus Blue Jackets for a noon matinee. In the first period Bobby Ryan would strike seven minutes into the game to give the Wings the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Oliver Bjorkstrand would net his first of the season to tie the game at one. In the third period the Jackets would take command as they would get goals from Alexandre Texier and Pierre-Luc Dubois in a span of 76 seconds to take a commanding 3-1 lead. However, in the final minute of the game Bobby Ryan would net his second of the game, with an ensuing line brawl, to bring the Wings back within one, but it would not be enough as the Blue Jackets would hold on to win 3-2.
- Boston Bruins v. New York Islanders – 5p ET
- In Long Island, the Boston Bruins would come to visit the New York Islanders hoping to pick up their second win of the season. It would take 55 minutes and 51 seconds before we would see our first goal as Jean-Gabriel Pageau would get one past Tuukka Rask to give the Islanders the 1-0 victory.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- Up north the Toronto Maple Leafs would play host to the Winnipeg Jets. After a scoreless 20 minutes, the Leafs would break the scoreless tie as John Tavares would net his third of the season while on the powerplay. Then in the final minutes of the second period Mitch Marner would score for the Leafs, and Kyle Connor would score for the Jets. Come the third period, the Leafs would be able to shut down the Jets and Marner would get his second goal of the game to give the Leafs the 3-1 victory.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Philadelphia Flyers – 730p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would play host to the Buffalo Sabres, and in the first period Curtis Lazar would strike first to get the Sabres on the board. Then in the second period Sam Reinhart would net two goals, and Lazar would score his second of the game to give the Sabres the commanding 4-0 lead. In the third period Henri Jokiharju would net his first of the season for the Sabres and Victor Olofsson would tally as well, and while Nicolas Aube-Kubel would score for the Flyers, the Sabres would go on to defeat the Flyers 6-1.
- San Jose Sharks v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would face off with the San Jose Sharks, and in the first period the Sharks would swarm the Blues as Kevin Labanc and Logan Couture would both score their first goals of the season to give San Jose the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Justin Faulk would net his first of the season for the Blues, and Mike Hoffman would score his first goal as a Blue to tie the game at two, but the Sharks would retake the lead as Brent Burns would score his first of the season while on the powerplay. However, Jaden Schwartz would strike for his first of the season to tie the game back up at three, and Faulk would score his second of the game for the Blues to take the 4-3 lead. Then in the third period Couture would net his second of the game to tie the game back up at four. However, the scoring would not end there as the Blues would retake the lead with a Jordan Kyrou tally to take the 5-4 victory.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- Out in Nashville, the Carolina Hurricanes come to town to take down the Predators. After a scoreless first period Andrei Svechnikov would net his third of the season to give the Canes the 1-0 lead, but 46 seconds later Filip Forsberg would strike on the powerplay for his third of the season to tie the game at one. In the third period Both Vincent Trocheck and Sebastian Aho would score while shorthanded to give the canes the 3-1 lead, but Viktor Arvidsson would get a powerplay tally to get the Preds back within one. However, a late Nino Niederreiter tally would give the Hurricanes the 4-2 victory.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Calgary Flames – 9p ET
- In Calgary the Vancouver Canucks face off with the Flames, and in the first period Jake Virtanen would score his first of the season to give the Canucks the 1-0 lead. In the second period Johnny Gaudreau would net his second of the season to tie the game at one for the Flames, and then Mikael Backlund would net his first of the season to give the Flames the 2-1 lead. With two seconds left in the second period while on the powerplay Elias Lindholm would grow the Flames lead to two. In the third period Tyler Myers would score a shorthanded goal to get the Canucks back on the board, but goals from Mark Giordano (PPG) and Rasmus Andersson would give the Flames the 5-2 victory.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p ET
- The Montreal Canadiens travel to Edmonton to take on the Oilers, and in the first period Alexander Romanov would strike midway through the period to give the Habs the 1-0 lead. Then late in the second period with 11 seconds left while on the powerplay Shea Weber would net his first of the season to grow the Habs lead to two. Then in the final frame of regulation Artturi Lehkonen would strike while shorthanded to give the Habs the 3-0 lead. Devin Shore would score while shorthanded for the Oilers, but they would still fall to the Canadiens 3-1.
- Minnesota Wild v. Anaheim Ducks – 9p ET
- Out west the Anaheim Ducks look to tame the Minnesota Wild. After 40 minutes of scoreless hockey, it would be Nicolas Deslauriers with the lone goal of the game 44:09 into the game giving the Ducks their first victory of the 2020-21 season 1-0.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- Out in the desert the Arizona Coyotes would visit the Vegas Golden Knights, and in the first period Tyler Pitlick would strike while shorthanded to give the Yotes the 1-0 lead. In the second period Nick Schmaltz would tally on the powerplay to give the Coyotes the 2-0 lead, but then it would be all Vegas as Max Pacioretty would tally late in the second period. Then in the third period Rielly Smith would tally two goals and Chandler Stephenson would net his first of the season to give the Golden Knights the 4-2 victory to go a perfect 3-0-0 to start the season.
- NJ v. NYR – 7p ET
- BUF v. PHI – 7p ET
- DAL v. TB – Postponed
- CHI v. FLA – 7p ET
- WAS v. PIT – 7p ET
- WIN v. OTT – 7p ET
- CLB v. DET – 730p ET
- CAR v. NAS – 8p ET
- COL v. LA – 10p ET