NHL News and Notes from Friday, September 4th, 2020
- Dallas Stars v. Colorado Avalanche – 4p ET Start Time
- In Edmonton the Stars and Avalanche face off in an afternoon matinee to see who will move on to the Western Conference Finals starting on Sunday. In the first period Alexander Radulov would open the scoring while on the powerplay for Dallas, but Colorado would respond with goals from Vladislav Namestnikov and Andre Burakovsky to take the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period Joel Kiviranta would score his first career NHL Playoff goal to tie the game at two, but Nazem Kadri would score on the powerplay to retake the one goal lead for the Avalanche. In the third period Radulov would net his second powerplay goal of the game to tie the game back up at three, but then both teams would score in a span of ten seconds as Namestnikov (COL) and Kiviranta (DAL) would both score their second of the game to keep the game tied and send it to overtime. In the extra frame Kiviranta would complete the hat trick and send the Dallas Stars to the Western Conference Finals with the 5-4 victory.
- Kassie’s TXHT Recap – Kiviranta’s Hat Trick Lifts Stars to Conference Finals
- Vancouver Canucks v. Vegas Golden Knights – 9p ET Start Time
- In the final game of the Second Round in the Western Conference both Vegas and Vancouver look to advance in the decisive Game 7. In the first period we would see zero goals, but Vegas would take it to the Canucks as the Golden Knights would out shoot them 11 to 2 and out hit them 24 to 9. After almost 54 minutes of scoreless action it would be Shea Theodore breaking the tie with the powerplay marker to give the Golden Knights the 1-0 lead, and then with a 2:06 remaining Alex Tuch would get the empty netter, and with 5.2 seconds left Paul Stastny would get an empty netter to give the Golden Knights the 3-0 victory to advance to the Conference Finals.
- Dickson’s TXHT Recap – Pair of Empty Netters Send Vegas to Conference Finals
- 730p ET – NY Islanders v. Philadelphia